Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
It's hard to see everything from one poor picture but it's not supposed to have any graphics on the tank. In 1998 the tanks were decal free and just the new (at the time) vignelli "Ducati" graphics on the side fairings. Also, more as an FYI, it's not supposed to have a carbon front fender but it's a popular upgrade and looks nice..

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
'98 916 has no graphics on the tank, only 'DUCATI' on the side fairings and 'DUCATI 916' on the seat/tail, no other graphics.

·
Registered
305 Posts
As stated, no tank graphics in 1998.

This is my 1998. It is a 748L, but the graphics will be the same, other than the seat cowl (mine says "748L").

3715vp_1564684669064.jpg

·
Registered
305 Posts
Here is a little better pic.

3718gf_1564686035098.jpg

And my 1997.

3718lx_1564686244383.jpg

As you can see, the 1997 has a much more pronounced graphics package. Plus, the tail section has the "Campione Del Mondo Superbike" decals, whereas the 1998 only has the model. The 1997 tank has "Ducati" on either side, and there is the championship laurel on top, close to the key pocket... 1998 did not.

1998 also saw a change to monocolor graphics, as the 1997's were two color. Plus, 1997 had "Ducati" at the top of the seat cowl, just above the tail lights.... 1998 did not.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the one I’m looking at seems to have Ducati on the side of the tank and not only “916” on the tail. Seems to be a mismatch. Maybe seller added some decals on his own.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well, the one I’m looking at seems to have Ducati on the side of the tank and not only “916” on the tail. Seems to be a mismatch. Maybe seller added some decals on his own.

Looks like. I can see the "Campione Del Mondo Superbike being on the bike, but not along with the Ducati 916.

But then again, what do you care about the seat cowl.... you will just go monoposto with it anyway, the way any self-respecting Ducati owner would, right? ?

Incidentally, I have seen the tank decals on other '98's before, and honestly like the look. There is another Neiman-Marcus bike on the internet that has the same tank graphics... does not look bad at all. I always did think the tank needed something, as they looked plain on the 1998 models. Can't really say as I agree with the owner's taste on the seat cowl graphics, though. .

Curious, but are these graphics clear coated over, the way the ones on the fairings should be?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Run the VIN number and it will tell you what year it is, or send it to Ducati for them to tell you....

Were the Swiss Cheese front rotors still being used in '98 year bikes? I thought the Snowflake style had been upgraded by then...

·
Registered
417 Posts
My guess?

This is a ‘97 Biposto and the lower halves of the fairing have been replaced.

There is no “916” on the tail of a ‘97 but it does have “Ducati” and the “Campione del Mondo” decal on it.

IMG_0612.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
My guess?

There is no “916” on the tail of a ‘97 but it does have “Ducati” and the “Campione del Mondo” decal on it.

View attachment 950109

I stand corrected on the "Ducati" up top. Mine does not have it, for some reason.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My guess?

View attachment 950109

Interestingly enough, my "Ducati 748L" is underneath the bottom vent.... same location as my "Ducati Campione Del Mondo Superbike" on my 1997.
I have seen both locations correct. I wonder if there is a rhyme or reason to this.

3729lt_1564713178596.jpg

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
97 should also have "DUCATI" above the lh headlight (or there somewhere, i forget now).

it was very common for owners of 98 models to put 97 decals on them. the lack of decals on 98's caused quite a bit of agro back then.

·
Registered
305 Posts
97 should also have "DUCATI" above the lh headlight (or there somewhere, i forget now).

it was very common for owners of 98 models to put 97 decals on them. the lack of decals on 98's caused quite a bit of agro back then.
My 1997 is blank above the left headlight.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for your valuable inputs. I will be looking at it today and will see if some of the decals have been added by the owner himself.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Also look into flaking rockers history. The only 916s that generally escaped this awful history was the 94 and 95 916 model years. I've heard that early 96 models were also good, after that Ducati made some sublet decisions regarding rockers that started the mess with them. I was lucky to have a very nice example 95 model and in my opinion, the fairing graphics were iconic. Man, I regret selling that bike. Good luck with yours and just by the pictures, the bike looks to be in very nice shape.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts