Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first official post after my intro post. I'm picking up my first Ducati on Saturday; a 2010 M696 with 850 miles and a few choice mods. I've been a fan of the brand for years, and after 3 previous bikes, I'm finally getting my Ducati!
My question is, on a two-year old bike that's been ridden so few miles, are there any maintenance items that I should perform as soon as I pick the bike up according to the "Use and Maintenance Manual"? Based on the time interval, of course, and not the miles?
http://www.incredirides.com/schedules/ducati_monster696.pdf

I know the bike had it's first 600 mile service @ an Authorized Ducati Dealership, but I don't know how much time has elapsed since then. I'll be asking the owner for that info so I can have a better idea of what should be done when.

Thanks in advance for any and all input; I've been browsing these forums for awhile now without soliciting personal advice, but I'm looking forward to the learning experience!

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Check the usual, turn signals, headlight, tail light, tire pressures, controls, etc. Rubber should be okay, just inspect the tread and make sure there are no nails or screws in it and that it isn't cracking.

If it was sitting in a garage I'd just start riding it. Outside, I'd probably change the oil and check the brakes to make sure they feel okay. Bleed the brakes if they feel spongy.

That bike isn't even broken in yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
All sound advice; thank you. I believe it was garaged, but I'll verify. The seller and his family have been riding Ducati's for many years and sounds like a true enthusiast. I get the impression the bike was treated well in his care. As always, I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Edit: I talked to the seller and he says oil was changed to full synthetic (600 mile service) half-way through last riding season. I spoke to a tech at my local dealer, and he said he personally always changes the oil and filter immediately on any used bike he buys, no matter when it was changed last.
Thereafter, he recommended 3500 mile oil change intervals. Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts