Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought my '95 900SS-SP...#396...new in 1995 from a dealer near Orlando, FL. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. Have had about 29,000 miles of fun on the old girl and will never sell it. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
LED Magic

Moving it forward today but hit a puzzle on the LED turn signals. See the "crescent-moon" stripes on the left and right sides? Those are the turn signals. The light comes with the normal 3 prong connector, hi, ground, low plus a single wire for each of the left and right signal plus a third wire for daytime running lights. The turn signals I'm taking off have of course two wires each. Assumed something inside the bulb unit was ground, so I just attached the positive wires from the turn signal leaving the ground wires hanging.
Nope, not a glimmer.
Hooked in those LED diodes that make the rear turn signals work fine (since each bulb is two wire).
Still not working, but I only connected the positive wires as the ground has nowhere to go.
Disconnected the rear turn signals completely but didn't help. I have the LED type 3post flasher relay installed - got one with adjustable speed!

Read all 275 reviews on Amazon for it, two mentioned that they got them to work on something besides a late model Harley and that it was tricky. 10 more gave up and sent it back.
Here is the brief comment that doesn't make sense to me from a guy that got it work on a 90's Ducati Monster -

"took some savvy wiring to figure out the turn signals to work but when I applied both blinking + and a constant negative to the blinker wire, only then did it function correctly. "

Anyone know what this means? Is he saying to twist both the negative and positive wires together from -say- the left turn signal and connect to the single wire from the light for the left turn signal?

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Have you done the diode mod to your dash indicator light? The one that needs to be done if you're fitting a LED bulb in the dash? That also applies to fitting LED bulbs in the actual indicators, as the normal operation of the indicator reverses the polarity on one side (just the way it's wired). The diode mod means that both signal leads will be the same polarity. Look up the LED bulbs/dim dash lights posts in this forum - there's a better description in them.

If you still have trouble with your flasher unit, superbrightleds have (well - had - some time ago) electronic flasher units that should just plug in - fairly cheap IIRC.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
*Edit for clarity* How do I go from two wire turnsignals to one wire? This works, its been done and there are no instructions from the manufacturer on how.

I have the correct flasher relay, and I am not changing the dash lights to LED so I don't think that is the issue as it doesn't affect the rear turn signals on either of my bikes. The headlight just has no instructions beyond replacing a stock Harley LED headlight, (which it does quite well according to the reviews)

I used these for the rear LED turn signals and it works fine, still have the dash blinking correctly

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJ9LFR9

Which, I think, eliminates the need for the dash light diode if you are are not changing the dash bulb to LED?

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have the correct flasher relay, and I am not changing the dash lights to LED so I don't think that is the issue as it doesn't affect the rear turn signals on either of my bikes.

Which, I think, eliminates the need for the dash light diode if you are are not changing the dash bulb to LED?
I can only offer my experience with this on my 996. I got the bike with a rear integrator and no front signals at all.

I installed some bar end signals to get myself "legal" but then the rear diode/resistor pack for the integrated tail light/turn signal packed it in.

I installed some plain LED rear signals and then, well...then the issues started. They either didn't work at all, or all 4 flashed when the switch was activated in either direction.

After much frustration, and not a little swearing I thought; the only connection between the two sides was at the dash indicator.

As it turns out, the voltage/amperage required to light the LEDs is not significant enough to also light the incandescent dash lamp. It ends up being a jumper as the current just passes though without illuminating it.

I pulled the dash indicator and voila' .... everything worked like normal.

I used an electronic flasher specifically for the fact that a thermal one would not work with LEDs without a resistor.

Currently all of mine work with no resistor installed.....I'll get an LED peanut bulb for the dash when I get around to it. I just have to remember to switch off my turn signals after every turn without that reminder.......sean

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Excellent post, my thinking was starting to go in that direction. There is some weirdness on the HI/LOW headlight as well - it has "flipped" several times without reason. The switch set to LOW beam, dash light faded, LED headlight shines on LOW. Flip switch to HIGH, High LED beam comes on, dash light brightens - all normal.

A couple changes from HIGH to LOW later and it flips! Now the LOW switch is HIGH LED beam and dash light is dimmed (or even off completely). And visa versa. This morning it had gone back to correct, so far.

So - Pull the dash bulbs for the turn signals and headlight to see what happens?

·
Registered
926 Posts
So - Pull the dash bulb for the turn signals and headlight to see what happens?
Yeah....it's free, and you can't damage anything by doing so. Give it a shot and see what happens. As an LED is a light emitting diode, I've found that the diode part can make for some funky electrical issues.
A couple changes from HIGH to LOW later and it flips! Now the LOW switch is HIGH LED beam and dash light is dimmed (or even off completely). And visa versa. This morning it had gone back to correct, so far.
Sounds more like a faulty switch to me....but who knows. Could be a faulty ground causing that......sean

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Since I pulled apart the 3 post connector for experiments, it is possible the ground one is not quite tight, I will buy another connector this morning. If that resolves the confusion between HI/LOW I will be all right.

Definitely pulling the turn signal bulb, I don't really need to see it flashing after riding lots of vintage bikes for 40 plus years,... I've developed habits of thumbing it off since I've never had a bike with self canceling ones.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Since I pulled apart the 3 post connector for experiments, it is possible the ground one is not quite tight, I will buy another connector this morning. If that resolves the confusion between HI/LOW I will be all right.
Do you mean the head light connector for the H4 bulb? Yeah....that could be an issue but IIRC, the ground wire there went to a tab on the front sub-frame?

If that is faulty....I don't know how that could cause the swapping of the hi/low circuit. I don't. I'm not saying it can't. I'm just saying I don't know how it could.

Is there a circuit card inside the head lamp to direct all the functions/selections or is just straight wire? If the circuit card requires a ground, and uses the head lamp ground....then I can see the head lamp connector possibly being the culprit....sean

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
there is definitely a circuit board card inside the LED headlight unit, what it is and does is not documented beyond stating it stops the LED "flickering" issue that some lamps exhibit.

The PO who did all the fancy wiring did that 3post connector, no idea where the ground wire goes. It works perfectly even now, if I switch back to the incandescent headlight, just tried again to be sure.

Working on getting to the dash bulbs now.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Have you done the diode mod to your dash indicator light? The one that needs to be done if you're fitting a LED bulb in the dash? That also applies to fitting LED bulbs in the actual indicators, as the normal operation of the indicator reverses the polarity on one side (just the way it's wired). The diode mod means that both signal leads will be the same polarity. Look up the LED bulbs/dim dash lights posts in this forum - there's a better description in them.

If you still have trouble with your flasher unit, superbrightleds have (well - had - some time ago) electronic flasher units that should just plug in - fairly cheap IIRC.
OK - now I'm not in quite such a trashed state... I just checked over everything again, and the diode mod is needed. See the indicators.pdf link in this post - https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/482265-wanted-led-bulb-list-95-900ss-2.html#post4834393

What is happening is that when you switch the indicators, the warning bulb draws it's earth through the opposite sides bulbs (ie RH indicator on, dash bulb draws earth through LH side bulbs, and vice versa) - which (when they're LEDs) doesn't work too well. The diode mod will ensure that there is no polarity switching, and the earth for the dash light will then come from a dedicated source. You should then only need the black/white wire and the green/white wire to connect to the new setup (if IT is all earthed properly).

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Although that post is not very old, I suspect it is not up to date on the newer flasher units for LED's and there seem to be a lot of alternatives out there from the parts listed. The part of the diagram dealing with dash lights misses the flasher relay circuit (which I think provides the diode for the dash unit in the circuits as my other bike works fine without the mod - again, no LED in the dash lights on the other bike, but a pair of normal LED turn signals with two-wire connections each instead of the one on this new thing).

I do not desire the dash lights to be brighter - at all. In fact, I'm willing to just remove the blinker and high beam/low beam bulbs if it will help and stop looking right there for solutions.

I got held up yesterday and some errands this morning, but this afternoon I will pull the bulbs and just connect up the signal wires to the turn signals in the LED headlight to report back.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Although that post is not very old, I suspect it is not up to date on the newer flasher units for LED's and there seem to be a lot of alternatives out there from the parts listed. The part of the diagram dealing with dash lights misses the flasher relay circuit (which I think provides the diode for the dash unit in the circuits as my other bike works fine without the mod - again, no LED in the dash lights on the other bike, but a pair of normal LED turn signals with two-wire connections each instead of the one on this new thing).

I do not desire the dash lights to be brighter - at all. In fact, I'm willing to just remove the blinker and high beam/low beam bulbs if it will help and stop looking right there for solutions.

I got held up yesterday and some errands this morning, but this afternoon I will pull the bulbs and just connect up the signal wires to the turn signals in the LED headlight to report back.
It doesn't need to show the flasher relay. That is upstream of the +'ve connection, and just turns the +'ve feed on and off (look at the circuit diagram - Haynes manual) before it gets to the indicator switch. As for the brighter dash lights - it's well worth being able to see the oil pressure and charge lights in the daylight. Same for the indicators. However - even if you wish to use the original bulb, you'll need to do the diode mod to get the LED indicators to work properly. OTOH - just removing the bulb should work fine to prove things out.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Pulling the dash bulb for the headlights did not fix the issue with the Hi/Lo beam being swapped at the switch, however adding the diode ballast in the headlamp three prong socket did correct the problem. Adding the dash bulb back in flipped the Hi/Lo again.

LED's are odd,...

Since my night riding often is miles out in the desert boonies with the high beams on I won't miss the dash bulb - interesting to see if an LED dash bulb would work but I probably won't go there.

Oh, I can tell when the LED headlight is on HI - even in the freakin daytime, these suckers are bright!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The 21st century LED spaceman headlight with the old "Whitney Catalog" Dart screen wasn't working for me. Bought another piece from a forum member, fought like hell to get it mounted. Still a work in process, but I'm thinking this will work.

Rather than turn signals I am considering driving lights, real small ones. Gearing up for a night ride to check it out.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Member *RockAZ, really nice basic machine! What did you have to pay for that bike? I'm looking for one myself but the likelihood of finding one in Yuma is about as high as finding ocean near all of the ~beach~ (ahem ...sand) around here!

I'd be willing to drive to Tucson or Phx ... I'll keep searching, one is bound to surface!!

Rex.

:think:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Member *RockAZ, really nice basic machine! What did you have to pay for that bike? I'm looking for one myself but the likelihood of finding one in Yuma is about as high as finding ocean near all of the ~beach~ (ahem ...sand) around here!

I'd be willing to drive to Tucson or Phx ... I'll keep searching, one is bound to surface!!

Rex.

:think:
After a lengthy CL search of the West Coast CLs from San Diego to Seattle I found there are a handful of 900SS's for sale in SoCal. A buddy of mine is also on the hunt for an old slab side 900SS, hence my search for one in his interests.

Los Angeles CL yielded the most results, I think there were 6 or 7 there. I found one on Vegas CL and another on Portland CL. A couple of those had no images. Keywords I used in my search were Ducati 900SS, Ducati SS, 900 supersport and just the year of the bike I was after.

I ran those keywords in my CL search in each of the major metro area CLs on the West Coast. Bay Area CL usually yields the best results but as of Wednesday, my last CL search showed no old school supersports on Bay Area CL. .... hope you find that useful info....sean

61 - 79 of 79 Posts