Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Finally wrestled that starter back on and have used it at least 50 times since because - it looks like the fuel pump has now failed. Poured even more cleaner in the tank for overnight, maybe it will clear up, but probably not. Fuse is good and I did hear the pump yesterday clearly.

It has an external fuel filter which I replaced, but peering into the tank it doesn't look like there is one there. The fuel pump ingested some sticky fuel I imagine.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Finally wrestled that starter back on and have used it at least 50 times since because - it looks like the fuel pump has now failed. Poured even more cleaner in the tank for overnight, maybe it will clear up, but probably not. Fuse is good and I did hear the pump yesterday clearly.

It has an external fuel filter which I replaced, but peering into the tank it doesn't look like there is one there. The fuel pump ingested some sticky fuel I imagine.
There is supposed to be a filter inline at the pump as well as a strainer bag where the pump pick up is.

I'd guess the strainer bag is plugged up if it is still there.

In order, fuel filter, fuel pump and the strainer bag is just visible behind the pump.

Just pull the fill cap and the fill cap carrier and you get a nice big hole to view it all.........sean

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I figure it is the strainer plugged up too, been unable to source one locally. I did not see the filter in there, suspect the PO took it out. I think the fuel pump died today, luckily I found one tonight at the auto parts store that will work.

Don't know what to do about the strainer if cleaning it isn't possible. Leave it off, I suppose,....

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I would work to have a strainer of some sorts as it is the only filter pre-pump, without one it puts the fuel pump at greater risk.

I have removed pumps and bench flushed them as well as ...... Ahem!..... tapped on them :wink2: and was able to get them to free up when stuck. Does not always work but if it is just a bit of grit you might shake it loose.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was looking at my Coleman kerosene lamp last night while sipping a beer, that has a "sock" in it for the flame, wonder if that would work to replace the strainer? I'm having trouble finding one just in case.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I would bet that sock would fail in fuel but I have not tried. Oem is plastic IIRC.

I can see if I have a spare oem if you want.
What size do you need ?
will oem fit your aftermarket pump?
whats wrong with your oem? Outside of rotten fuel I do not see bad screens . can you show a picture dimensions of what you are trying to fit the screen onto?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
776 Posts
My recollection is that I used an Airtex 2035 pump for my '92 that looked identical to OEM, fit perfectly, and works fine. Cost about $45. It came with the inlet screen, and if I recall Airtex also sold accessory parts like the screen for the pump separately. Most likely that part number has been superseded by something else, but may be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes, I went through a number of threads trying to find different part numbers locally, three of the Airtex ones that had a screen were Internet only. AutoZone, Pepboys, O'Reilys all struck out on those numbers. NAPA today might be worth a call once I get it out to see how bad the screen is.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Parts store people had no idea what I was talking about
there's a shocker. not.

every GM car with FI in the 80s, 90s, and well into the 00s has a sock on the pump just like what 'we' use. literally, over a hundred million vehicles. but the cash register jockey's (can you even call them THAT these days?!?) haven't a clue.

sorry for the mini-rant.

and, you're welcome: https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23443641-quantum-intank-efi-fuel-pump-with-tank-seal-strainer-fit-ducati-900-ss-sl-carb-model-1994-1997.html

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks for the link, but I found several dozen online - but no part numbers crossed over to something I can buy TODAY - here in town. I'll try NAPA, almost have the pump out.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Thanks for the link, but I found several dozen online - but no part numbers crossed over to something I can buy TODAY - here in town. I'll try NAPA, almost have the pump out.

Pull it out and take to it NAPA. I'd almost bet a paycheck they have one that will work, on the shelf.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Parts store people had no idea what I was talking about
there's a shocker. not.

**********************************************************************************

seek the oldest parts guy available at the store(s), experience counts

Coming from a now retired, heavy equipment/union dealership "parts guy" (and more) 30 years at the same dealer.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'll try NAPA, almost have the pump out.
It just clips in to the bottom of the tank. No tools needed to remove it....sean

PS...don't mind the paint chips....those popped off the outside of the tank and I haven't cleaned it out just yet.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I figure it is the strainer plugged up too, been unable to source one locally.

Don't know what to do about the strainer if cleaning it isn't possible. Leave it off, I suppose,....
Here's what mine looked like when I removed the pump:

It's black. It is also separating from the pump inlet. Meaning that the pump can draw in garbage where the strainer is separated. I point out the current color because all the ones I've found on the web are white. That's the extent of the discoloration.

I'd not leave it off. If I had to, I'd replace it with something from another pump as the pump inlet should be relatively free of garbage so the pump is not damaged or seized by grit or sediment.

The rubber surrounding the pump is removable though I have not attempted to remove it as yet. The new pumps I've found do not come with the rubber insulator but you'll need it to mount the pump back in the tank.

The flat part of the rubber faces up, and you can see the grooves where the tangs of the clip in the tank bottom grip the rubber insulator.

Here is my fuel cap carrier. You can see the 8 grub screws that hold it to the tank in the pic:

I only point these out because my cap was covered in shitty red paint, the remnants of which are seen in the bottom of the tank in my last post. Due to the paint thickness, I didn't even see the grub screws until I consulted the online parts fische from Ducati Omaha.

I had to chip away the paint to find them for removal. The entire carrier was painted red, including the weather seal and fill neck...which still needs to have the paint removed......sean

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Great news, its running - a little bit rough now and then but idles only at 1k

Issue was the PO replaced the intank filter with a hose that was not submersible rated - it melted everywhere and was a bitch to clean up. Got the strainer sock from a local chain Merles - who hire mechanics for the desk. Knew right what I wanted, measured the opening and went and grabbed it without needing to look it up. Got me a foot of the right hose too.

Off to ride! Thanks everyone for your insights and assistance!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts