Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 26k miles, looks in great shape except someone tried to turn it into a "naked bike" look. Chrome headlight! So no bodywork or mounting pieces come with it, hasn't been started in years but I've got it cheap and it looks like it will only take a few hours to clean it up for riding.

From having a 91 as a daily driver I've got lots of spares and stuff lying around for it. Post pics in the next day or so.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good for you!!
I bought my '95 back at 13,000 miles. I must say getting your new acquisition running etc. will likely take a bit longer than a few hours!
And, perhaps a few $$ too.
But, well worth it IMHO.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures too.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figure I will pull the fuel filter out of the tank first, it all looks clean in there peering through the cap. If I have any trouble with the carbs I will just put in the spare Mikuni rack I have from the first bike's swap to FCR's. The belts need a look, valves checked 200 miles ago, the tires are two years old but "new" - so, they will be ok for a few weeks. Have several spare batteries, brake pads are new, all the electrics (regulator, ignitors, spark wires, etc) were all just done before he stopped riding. New chain and gears 200 miles ago and they look it.

He said he drained the carbs and shut off the tank soon after the riding stopped so maybe it will be simple.

The guy he bought it from is the original owner and a long time well respected Porsche mechanic here in town. The 200 miles the second owner put on it are not significant.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Well now you have the second Gen. carby you know you will need to add a 3rd gen. as well. >:)
I've thought about doing this; getting an ie to go along with my carbie and my 939. There's also a 1977 860 GTS listed locally that I daydream about.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
And psyopper don't forget to add the holy grail 900 in the United States the 1988-1990 sport 900. There is/was a member on here with one in the US so I know some made it in but they were never a official US bike. look overseas to Australia for best info on these as a few members down under had them for sure (Fester still around here?).

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got it home, had a hard time working out our schedules. Bike looks great, for a naked bike anyway. Throttle is completely stuck at the carbs, gummed up - cables move easily. So a bit more work to get it running, pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just gave the Dream Machine back to the friend that gave it to me, I never loved that bike even after seeing a museum quality restoration during the last Gentlemans Ride!

Here is a pic of the new beast, problems with the starter motor, probably gummed up brushes so maybe I will be lucky

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
No pictures came through for me.

I would pull the end cap and look for oil inside ( bad seal), no need to pull the side cover just to peak for bad brushes or seals. It can be a PIA to put back together though.

I had a customer drop a 305 dream on me this summer so now I own another bike I did not know I needed. Probably end up a wall hanger as I am not that into that vintage of bikes.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll try photobucket later today.

Looks like the wire from the post to the starter brush separated. It appears to have been repaired before. Replacing that wire with a new one, although it was very gritty inside no oil was evident.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
You can buy just the starter brushes and post from Ricks if all it is is the isolator has been broken. The kit comes with new brushes ,post,isolator.

Looks like they lowered the front a bit but overall in good condition, nice buy!

Yes thats like my new 305 except yours was in a nicer condition. Mine is a barn find from the 80's. that came with a story the prior owner was the husband of the woman in the video attached, kind of why I got sucked in.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFuXhflHhhA

Now it needs some nose art

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Suspecting all that crap I saw in the starter is not normal, and with the two different wires on the commutator brushes and evidence on non OEM caulking on the starter housing - this job has been done before by a PO. I ride in some incredibly remote areas and often stay overnight away from home on a ride so I am going to replace the starter.

However, given a good nights sleep, I will once again attempt to offer up the cap to the starter since the new one will not arrive until Monday.

Oh - that was not MY Dream machine! What a beauty, it belonged to a fellow at the Distinguished Gentlemans ride here in Tucson.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts