Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buying a Monster, model undecided

I rode an 08 Monster Rs4 and a Super Duke 08 at the dealers yesterday. Both are unbelievably fantastic bikes, fast goes without saying, hyper is more like it. I'm no stranger to fast and huge acceleration, owned two GSXR 750s.

But I have to admit I was surprised after not riding a super bike for the last five years. These bikes are a huge step forward. The Ducati, is so smooth and refined compared to a GSXer. The turn in is so easy and the hold in the corners is reassuring. Kind of scary because you want more and you are already fast.

Anyway it's exciting, I'm looking forward to my new bike.

I have questions as to servicing and cost. How much will I pay to keep up the bike? Say a service like new belts, valve adjustments and oil changes, and what does one do beyond that?

The bike I'm buying has great mods on it already, so I'll wait on upgrades until I know more about the bike.

I'm new here so sorry about the rambling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good luck with the new bike. A 2005-07 Monster s4r is what i am looking to purchasing for my next bike. If you are worried about the cost of servicing dont buy a Ducati. You have to pay to ride an exotic bike! The 12K service on my 748 was $1500 at my local ( 90 miles away) dealer. I am sure another dealer would have been cheaper but the next closest dealer is 200 miles away. I cant wait to read about your experience on your new bike. Please keep us posted

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you are technically minded at all, even in the smallest way, the oil changes can be done at home. Wicked easy. And it saves 200 bucks.

Most everything else can be done at home too, (belts, and such) BUT if you are not confident enough or don't have the tools DON'T do it.

The best thing you can do is call your local dealer and get quotes from them. Prices will vary from place to place.

The Monster breed is a great motorcycle. You can't go wrong. Good luck and keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Inexpensive, prompt, through, frequent, self service!

Thanks for the advice, sounds like inexpensive, prompt, thorough, frequent, self service is the way to go!

I will learn to do the service except maybe the valve adjustments, I can do the belts and oil.

I'm still in the mix with sellers, down to two bikes, a 1999, 900 Monster with low miles and newer 05 S4R Monster.

I like the air cooled look of the 900; but the updates on the S4R are so tempting. I know there are many different opinions about the different attributes of these two technologies, I'm not convinced that one is better than the other, it's a matter of what turns you on. I'm not afraid of air cooled; I owned two 911 Porsches with air cooled engines and never had any problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Fuel injected 900

Has anyone converted a 900 to fuel injection? How about improving throttle response and HP on the carburated versions of the 900 Monster. What do the Fast by Ferrracci carburetor kits bring? How about larger header pipes is it worth the effort?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone guide me to accessories like carbon covers for all possible (clutch, water pump) areas on the bike? How about stainless or ti headers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very strong

The "Super Duke" is wild, it jumps off the pavement, it's more, "may I say", of a "Monster". Throttle response it immediate, the S4R is fast and feels very powerful, yet more sophisticated, smoother. The Super Duke is a beast, "Brutale".

My Monster 900 Chromo, which is what I ended up buying, is (with the Carbon exhaust) in between the two as far as being smooth, but less powerful especially at the top end.

The other two bikes never want to run out of rpm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
home work

Does anyone know if you need gaskets for the belt covers when you do the belt change maintenance?

How about, where can I get the best 900 Monster shop manual?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts