Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Clutch slave is starting to leak and cause little air bubbles in the line (at least that's my going theory based on all the evidence - lowering and dirty fluid level, funky clutch behavior, etc.). So I hit ebay to look for new clutch slaves. I came across one seller that had them for $60.00 - vs. the $120+ for other aftermarket versions. They had marketed it as a "Race" Part but also listed specifically for the ST2. I know some ST see track time, but lets be honest - not many. So I messaged the seller to ask if this could be used for street use as well. His response was "This is for race only."

Now, a clutch slave is a clutch slave and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be fine. I also figure the parts probably haven't passed some NHTSB test somewhere and by listing them as "Race Only," it allows them to be sold legally. And his response of "Race only" was simply a way of covering his own butt.

Or do you think I screwed myself out of $60 this afternoon when I pressed the Buy it now button?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Bil...ash=item56a360daad:g:KdAAAOxy5P9RG8hW&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Looks like he is distributing the stuff made in China to me. I have never in my life heard of a race clutch slave, but maybe I don't get out enough...

Do yourself a favor and grab one of these OEM slaves from this guy. He gets factory assembly line leftovers and sells for a reasonable price. I bought one when my out of production Evlouzione slave started leaking. No problems and it is new, just not in the box. I have purchased several items from him. Good seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-on-Ducati-many-models-hydraulic-clutch-slave-cylinder-19540031A-on-engine-N/171916736802?hash=item2807093922:g:Jn0AAOSwHnFV5lO1

There is no specific fitment for the ST2. All the 6 bolt dry clutch slaves will work. One difference is the push rod length. If you have a single phase bike, you will need a small 8 to 10MM spacer to make up for the shorter rod, or just buy a rod from a 3 phase bike.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
fleabay/

trust your instincts on this one-I would take advantage of the sellers return policy,appears very generic.one thing to check before hitting the buy-it-now is read their negative feedback ratings.Valtermotousa has some but they are from very flaky buyers.I have bought from him & would trust his parts fully.the Chinese seem to be setting-up front stores in the US as buyers become more aware of the inferior quality from China. they usually answer feedback with bad English.their titanium bolt prices are tempting but who wants to be a test pilot for junk.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't see the problem.
I just looked at the listing, and it is clear and detailed - specifying the features of the item. It has clear pictures too; so you definitely see what you're getting. It also specifies the brand - 'Gas Cap Dude'; not one I've heard of, but the information was there for you to decide upon.
The seller has been an eBay member for ten years and has a massive positive feedback score of 16520, 100% positive.
If you weren't sure after all that information was available, then why on earth did you buy it???
And why then burden us with your dilemma - I won't be able to sleep for worrying about this now...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have his slave. Well, I broke it and got another.

Seems like a great guy. It's a regular slave cylinder, like any other. There are no race only slaves, or at least, none of us common folk would ever get a chance to buy one.

Especially for $60.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Gas cap dude is a Chinese reseller, I living in Fremont California. I bought some things from him before. Honest, in the sense that he supplies the items he says he will, if you are willing to roll those dice and purchase equipment without industrial testing or provenance.

I don't think I would ever buy a slave cylinder from him. I purchased Oberon from Motowheels and Yoyodyne's slave cylinder for my bikes. They're good quality equipment. I don't want to be in the middle of a ride and not have my clutch working all of a sudden.

Enough stuff goes wrong with motorcycles not to tempt fate.

Ron

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like he is distributing the stuff made in China to me. I have never in my life heard of a race clutch slave, but maybe I don't get out enough...

Do yourself a favor and grab one of these OEM slaves from this guy. He gets factory assembly line leftovers and sells for a reasonable price. I bought one when my out of production Evlouzione slave started leaking. No problems and it is new, just not in the box. I have purchased several items from him. Good seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-on-Ducati-many-models-hydraulic-clutch-slave-cylinder-19540031A-on-engine-N/171916736802?hash=item2807093922:g:Jn0AAOSwHnFV5lO1

There is no specific fitment for the ST2. All the 6 bolt dry clutch slaves will work. One difference is the push rod length. If you have a single phase bike, you will need a small 8 to 10MM spacer to make up for the shorter rod, or just buy a rod from a 3 phase bike.
Geez... NOW I see this...
... oh, wait... it's kind of my own fault for only making this post after I bought the item, huh?

Honestly, I may have seen that one, but I'm leary of buying a factory slave as their tendancy to leak is one of the reasons that they're one of the most commonly replaced parts on our bikes. Still, the devil you know, I guess...

The PO of my bike had put on an Evlouzione slave. By the time I got the bike it had already been repaired with JB Weld. :surprise: Of course, I did not know this until I had an issue where the slave got nicked in a sprocket issue that I had come up. Guess I'll be the genuine pig on this one.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Honestly, I may have seen that one, but I'm leary of buying a factory slave as their tendancy to leak is one of the reasons that they're one of the most commonly replaced parts on our bikes. Still, the devil you know, I guess...
If you use them enough, they will eventually leak. Rubber o rings constantly exposed to brake fluid sliding against a bore under pressure will eventually wear out. Just like my top of the line, at the time, Evoluzione slave did after many years of use. Just like the Brembo clutch and brake masters I've replaced over the years.

The older clutch slaves (pre 2000?) were more prone to leaking than the newer units, but you could rebuild them. I have one of the older ones on my 916. I upgraded it with a Evoluzione double o ring piston kit. It will last a good long time, and the o rings are common items I can get locally. I am pretty sure the Evoluzione slave I had on the ST had some odd o rings, but I haven't bothered to check. I find I like the pull of the OEM unit better. It's a bit harder, but the trade off is it moves the pressure plate more preventing problems with finding neutral and clunky shifting often found with easier pull aftermarket slaves.

In my personal opinion, the aftermarket clutch slave cylinder business thrives because people have heard OEM slaves can leak AND they are easy to add bling... I wonder how many OEM clutch slaves are replaced for actual leaking compared to the number replaced "just in case" and that they are billet bling???

That being said, the newer OEM slaves are not rebuildable... For the price that guy is asking, buy two and you'll be sick of the bike before you need another clutch slave!

·
Registered
828 Posts
In my personal opinion, the aftermarket clutch slave cylinder business thrives because people have heard OEM slaves can leak AND they are easy to add bling... I wonder how many OEM clutch slaves are replaced for actual leaking compared to the number replaced "just in case" and that they are billet bling???
Seems a lot of folks are looking for lighter/easier clutch with the aftermarket, too.

Plus side is there are a lot of stock slaves with few miles on them that can be had for cheap.

·
Registered
42 Posts
his term " RACE " implies to the larger bore of 30 mm over the stock what 25 mm???
if you getting air bubbles make sure your copper sealing washers are okay and the fitting are tight

one thing i have notice over the 6 Ducati that I have and installed is that the larger bore does not allow the full motion of the slave and the master still only displaces X amount of lluid- and when the diameter is increased the stroke is decrease
causing more issues with clutch disengagement when in traffic - more pre setting the gearbox to Neutral

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
>>>one thing i have notice over the 6 Ducati that I have and installed is that the larger bore does not allow the full motion of the slave and the master still only displaces X amount of lluid- and when the diameter is increased the stroke is decrease
causing more issues with clutch disengagement when in traffic - more pre setting the gearbox to Neutral
Right. His ad states 35% less effort - this also translates to 35% less travel. So bleeding ALL the air out would be very important. See my "no bleed method" on the HOW area to get that last bit of air out up near the master...

Note that he does include the spacer for the older bikes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE=ELK;6791945]We all prefer genuine pigs to fake or artificial pigs.[/QUOTE]

Ha! I'd love to blame auto-correct on that one, but... yeah... I'm afraid that was my own fault. :wink2:

It's an Evoluzione that I am replacing. It was previously repaired with JB weld (by the PO - just for the record). My first Ducati, also a 2000, had a slave that leaked so bad I was filling the reservoir when I filled the gas tank (hence my hesitation on OEM slaves). We'll see how it goes, I guess. Part came in the mail the other day. Looks pretty good, but looks can be deceiving.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Seems a lot of folks are looking for lighter/easier clutch with the aftermarket, too.

Plus side is there are a lot of stock slaves with few miles on them that can be had for cheap.
I got one 2 or 3 years ago that someone changed out for a lighter pull or the blinginess.

$25.00 to my front door made me happy...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I finally got the slave on the bike last night. Great feel on the lever. As soon as winter finally lets up I'll be able to try it out. But a new slave and fresh fluid should help with the issues I was having, I would think.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Interesting note on the Evoluzione. I have a period one and recently the clutch action was going away. I.E. fine for a few miles and then increasing not engaging. With no visible leaks I wasn't sure if it was the slave or master. Is there a text book way to confirm which unit is at fault?

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Interesting note on the Evoluzione. I have a period one and recently the clutch action was going away. I.E. fine for a few miles and then increasing not engaging. With no visible leaks I wasn't sure if it was the slave or master. Is there a text book way to confirm which unit is at fault?
Difficult to confirm which is bad with no leak to give it away. If you're loosing feel as the bike gets hot, I'd first to a fluid flush and a good bleed. Likely air / water in the fluid. As the fluid gets heated from the engine increasingly heating as you ride that first few miles, any air or water in the oil can cause the problem you describe.

After that, the slave is normally the culprit but I have had to replace a master too. No leak with the master to give it away, but it would loose feel sitting over night. I'd have to pump it to get some clutch action back.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,443 Posts
Speaking of the Evoluzione clutch slave...

Does anyone know the correct size of the bleeder? It's not the same as the M6x1.0 OEM piece. I want to replace it with a speed bleeder, but I don't know which one to order. I'd rather not drain the system to get a measurement.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thx, already flushed, looking like the Slave. May go back to factory with your Ebayer.
Thx!

Difficult to confirm which is bad with no leak to give it away. If you're loosing feel as the bike gets hot, I'd first to a fluid flush and a good bleed. Likely air / water in the fluid. As the fluid gets heated from the engine increasingly heating as you ride that first few miles, any air or water in the oil can cause the problem you describe.

After that, the slave is normally the culprit but I have had to replace a master too. No leak with the master to give it away, but it would loose feel sitting over night. I'd have to pump it to get some clutch action back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts