Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should I buy used 08 hyper or wait for new 796 hyper?

I've been riding monster for the past five years. Finally test rode the 09 1100 hyper, loved it, sold my monster. Now, should I purchase a pre-owned 08 hyper from dealer with 8500 miles, fully stock, for $9500 OTD or wait and get the new 796 hyper? But the new 796 will probably cost $11500 OTD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The used 1100 will definately have alot more power but comes with a little more weight. It is a buyers market and alot of good deals can be had buying from private party.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Wait until the 796 comes out then test ride it. Then you will truly know which bike is for you. If you think about it the only time you need to hit triple digits on the Hyper is if you take it to the track so the lighter weight of the 796 might pay off on back roads. I'm going to take it for a test ride when it hits the showroom.

·
Registered
346 Posts
When I was first looking at the Hyper in late 2007, I thought an 800 would
be a better fit for me (if only they had one). But now, one of the things I
really like about the bike is that torquey engine and the ability to just hit the
gas and go with no delay; no waiting for the revs to climb into the power band.
You can be cruising along and think "accelerate" and it's there at the flick of the
wrist. I often have the front wheel skimming a couple inches off the ground
under acceleration, even with an aggressive forward riding position. My pure
supermoto bike will do that as well, but it's more than 100 pounds lighter than
the HM. I don't think most 'mid-size' bikes have that kind of snap, and I would miss
it too much to go back now. The new 796 Hyper would have to be 50 pounds
lighter to make it really shine for me. Heck, you can shed 20 pounds off the
1100 version with just a few mods (like 2-into1 exhaust, bin the passenger pegs
and carbon cannister and the exhaust servo motor, lightweight battery).

I still think the smaller Hyper is a great idea that will probably sell, but if you
loved the 1100 test ride, that's a sign. Plus, there are still some great deals
on used 1100s with very low miles that would be cheaper than a new 796.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
The new Hyper 796 will be 30mm lower (about 1 1/4 "), so consider that as well (this information I personally received from Gabrielle del Torchio at lunch last Thursday when we stopped by the factory for lunch on or way to Firenze).

Tom

·
Registered
108 Posts
Buy my farkled out Hyper S (listed in Classifieds). I'll making you a smokin' deal!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If you want lightweight, then by a real supermotard. If you want a Ducati in a cool package, then get the 1100. In fact, I would find used ones of both and be OTD for $12,500................best of both worlds.

Out!

·
Registered
31 Posts
When this new Hyper was announced I mentioned that I thought it would be crazy to get one when so many 1100 version's can be bought at such great discounts these days. Crazy is probably not the correct word but in short you get way more bike for less buying used.
At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. For me having had the good fortune to own a Hyper the last 6 months there's no way I would trade it in for a 796.
My 2 cents, buy a used one and use the saved cash into personalizing it or for track days or buying your wife/girlfriend lots of dinners. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
i think the hyper 1100 would be a better choice. i personally think it needs more power. to offer a bike with less power seems awkward to me.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Buy my farkled out Hyper S (listed in Classifieds). I'll making you a smokin' deal!
+1 I looked a Tickwomps bike in the classifieds. This bike is nice and has some really trick aftermarket stuff listed at $10k its a smokin deal!!! I would buy his bike if I were you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wouldn't consider the 800cc version. The torquey 1100cc motor is what makes the Hyper so fun to ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the whole idea of the baby hyper is to put a Duc at a price point that allows Ducati to advertise it for under $10,000. I'm sure it's a great bike and if you have never ridden an 1100 hyper it would seem just fine. Just don't ever ride the 1100 hyper and you'll stay happy! Frankly the performance (torque) of the 1100 and the bike's weight make it an unparalleled experience. Do you need an 1100? No, nobody needs any of the bikes we love but they sure are a blast.

I think folks that buy the new baby hyper will get into the Ducati groove and probably end up moving into another Ducati later on.

Either way you are going to have fun! There isn't really isn't anything negative here at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts