Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gents, so I haven't formally introduced myself in the HyperMotard section yet but I picked up my 08 S a little over a week ago used with only 930 miles on it. I'm now over 1700 miles and loving every bit of it.

Coming from past other bikes as a DRZ440SM, GSXR1k and GSXR750 the HM is a good fit for me. I also have to confess I have addictions with modding the living hell out of my past bikes and I also have been pretty deep in the Honda Monkey scene if any of you know what they are. So when I bought this one my first thought was that it really doesn’t need any mods, and now my current thought is cause I just cant help myself that I will make one part for every part I buy. Thus to keep myslef in check.

First thing was I bought an open clutch cover, so I ended up making a exhaust valve cover in carbon for it. Attached are some pics.
These first two are of the mold I made for the piece out of fiberglass and resin.

This is of the simple wet carbon layup in the mold. Decided to try skipping the vacuum bag and just do a quick and dirty.

And this pic is of it out of the mold trimmed and with the first coat of clear on it. The milkyness in the clear will settle, always does. I do plan to make another with a vacuum bag as there were two spots in the piece that lifted. Oh well, next one will be better.

Im a big fan of the 2X2 twill carbon and im actually pretty tempted to remake some of the stock carbon in two by two. Most of the pieces on the bike don't seem all that complex really. If your interested in the process of doing this kind of stuff I have blogged about it on my site here. http://honda50.com/?s=carbon

Here are a few other examples of my work that ive done with my monkey bikes over the years if you are interested.

http://honda50.com/brad/hardtail/DSCN6062.jpg
http://honda50.com/brad/ZB/Brads-9-2-08-5.jpg
http://www.honda50.com/brad/rides/USGP09/USGP09-7.jpg
http://honda50.com/WP/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/brads-5-3-09-1.jpg

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Very cool, and the monkey bikes are bad ass. I haven't done any carbon but a I've made a few fiberblass parts, nothing nearly nice as yours.

Congrats on the Hyper!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Very cool, another bay area hyper. It won't be long before you see a hyper as often as a gsxr on the road, not! I like the monkey bikes, they look like fun, well not hyper fun, but definitely a fun way to burn some gas.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
The first "motorcycle" I ever rode was a Honda 50 then graduated to the trail 70. Very cool little machines with the fold up bars and all.Welcome to the club.Those little Hondas have me feeling nostalgic.Think I'll go back to your site and see what's for sale.:)
Damn! I just did and there are currently none.:(

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
ciao brad -

are you friends with liam? he was/is big into the honda monkey bike scene.

btw, my first "real" bike (one from a real motorcycle manufacturer) was a honda mini-trail 50 ... i really miss it.

ciao,
johnc

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
I was at the " Garage's" Field Day , at Twin Creeks a Tractor Pull venue , and there was this little kid trying to start a mini trail getting frustrated , sos I gets it going for him and he is having a blast . The bike ended up at the Boys Club (my heated garage ) we cleaned it up painted it .I would bet at least a dozen kids took their first ride on it .You meet the nicest people on a Honda . That bike would not die . I recall seeing a 300 lb + guy on it going up a hill. Every body had fun on it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sanded out the clear, polished it up and mounted it today.
Still going to make another as its got a few pin holes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very cool!

Where you at in SF, I saw another red hyper out in front of Toronado the other night, was that you?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyhow, i wasn't happy with how the first one came out so i did another up today using a vacuum bag. The first one wasnt good enough for any close up shots. Fine from 5 feet away. Should be ready to post picks of it soon but here it is in the bag.

I also have another aftermarket part I want to add so I decided to get working on the next homemade part. Carbon counter sprocket cover. Here is a pick of the mold setting up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very cool!

Where you at in SF, I saw another red hyper out in front of Toronado the other night, was that you?
Im out in the excelsior disctrict. Must of been someone else as i havent really ridden it much around the city. Mostly been up in LaHonda, Pesk, and woodside areas.

Did run into another Hyper up on Alpine last weekend heading the same direction. Looked like he was having as much fun as i was on the road.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Im out in the excelsior disctrict. Must of been someone else as i havent really ridden it much around the city. Mostly been up in LaHonda, Pesk, and woodside areas.

Did run into another Hyper up on Alpine last weekend heading the same direction. Looked like he was having as much fun as i was on the road.
I think that must have been me! We both had to wait for our Superbike buddies? If so, then it was fun chasing you.:)
Nice work with the carbon stuff! Most of us mortals are stuck with buying it! What does that stuff cost per sq. in.?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that must have been me! We both had to wait for our Superbike buddies? If so, then it was fun chasing you.:)
Nice work with the carbon stuff! Most of us mortals are stuck with buying it! What does that stuff cost per sq. in.?

Yeah that must of been you. I was riding with two friends on sportbikes and you were with one as well. Damn nice having the right bike for the road isnt it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What does that stuff cost per sq. in.?
Right now on average for decent quality 2X2 twill 3K weight 50" wide is about 60$ a yard. I bought a roll of the stuff a while back about 10 yards at 40$ a yard.

you can go with some cheaper stuff ive seen on Ebay from time to time.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Yeah that must of been you. I was riding with two friends on sportbikes and you were with one as well. Damn nice having the right bike for the road isnt it.
And having friends oblivious enough or willing enough to take such a road.:D
Did the same route yesterday and had to deal with about a hundred bicyclists.:mad: The secret is out. On previous weekends I've seen "the pimped out Japanese car club" parade and two rider off road accident scenes on Pescadero. The crackdown is coming I'm afraid.
I say we pool our money, buy some property, and cut our own road through that wonderful terrain.:D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i just poped the 2ns one out of the mold after vacuum bagging. It turned out tits. I decided to post a pic un trimmed un cleaned up just to show what things look like fresh out of the mold. Also there is also the sprocket cover mold in the pic. It turned out well as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Popped the sprocket cover out of the molds this morning and took a picture of it to share of it needing some trim work still. Somewhat happy with it and at the same time i think i can make it better. There was no lifting in the resin and the finish came out pretty good. At the same time where i had to work the carbon around the divits in the mold it skewed the weave some. I think i may drill out the divits in the mold and lay up another one so my weave lines are straight. The plan was to drill out those holes in the final anyhow so i might as well take them out of the mold.

The part did come out super light though. I was pretty impressed with myself on that part. It feels that it weighs a fraction of the original.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Homemade sprocket cover finished and mounted. Looks like i can now add the next aftermarket part as soon as the freaking Fed Ex guy shows up with it.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts