Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, have a few questions and hope for help. It seems my rear fuel line burst right at the new quick disconnect fitting. The bike has lost its charge on battery and what I found was the rear cylinders spark plug wire got covered in fuel. Which I beleive shorted it out and drained battery either that or the fuel pump plug. Good thing I didnt catch fire! In short I need new wires and fuel lines. I'd like to know whats the best or at least whats available for a better replacement. BTW I had a forum member stop at the spot my duck left me. Josh, I apologize I forgot your forum name. The fact that you stopped means alot to me as people went wizzing by with a few honks from harley riders. Yeah, other riders who wouldnt stop to see if they could perhaps call someone or offer help. It's good to know that Duck riders take care of their own. Thanks much and shoot me that PM.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
First thing, what model bike

Secondly the fuel pump is run through a relay so its not possible to earth through a conductive medium when the bike is switched off so not really possible to drain the battery that way..

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Safety: its a 996 and I was riding at the time. I'm not saying I dont have other problems. I lost power and the bike would not restart after shutting down. I'm assuming for now, thats what happened. Battery read 11 volts this morn. Waiting on charge up and replace lines and wires to restart and continue troubleshooting. That also brings to mind that I may have lost a regulator or the alternator.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Safetyfish is correct. Unless the laws of physics do not apply to your bike, you have a charging issue or a current draw problem...or maybe just failing battery.

There is no way a fuel soaked spark plug wire could drain the battery, nor could a fuel soaked fuel pump harness as power is only supplied via fuel pump relay which requires key on, and kill switch set to on to power the relay. Without Batt+ and Ground there can be no draw.

Once you get the fuel line sorted, you might want to check your stator wires and make sure they aren't melted and if ok, make sure the bike it charging.

it also could be as simple as your battery is on it's last leg and will not hold a charge without constant use.

Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Safetyfish is correct. Unless the laws of physics do not apply to your bike, you have a charging issue or a current draw problem...or maybe just failing battery.

There is no way a fuel soaked spark plug wire could drain the battery, nor could a fuel soaked fuel pump harness as power is only supplied via fuel pump relay which requires key on, and kill switch set to on to power the relay. Without Batt+ and Ground there can be no draw.

Once you get the fuel line sorted, you might want to check your stator wires and make sure they aren't melted and if ok, make sure the bike it charging.

it also could be as simple as your battery is on it's last leg and will not hold a charge without constant use.

Good luck with the fix.
+1 on the wiring.. I'd be willing to bet either the stator wiring/connectors are toast or the regulator is. Check the 40A fuse and the connections around it, I fought a problem like this and it turned out to be poor electrical connections thru the fuse. When you get a new battery and its all charged put a voltmeter across it, it ought to read ~13+ volts reving the engine to ~3K rpm. Forget the OEM plastic ones, they should be outlawed.. Use metal one like these. Desmo Times Product 16 - Quick Disconnect Elbows - 748-998

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, thats certainly sound advice and I appreciate the input. Starter relay wires and connector is shot. Yet to check running voltage but battery now up to 12.8 I do have the metal quick disco's, thanks MOTO. Could not find plug wires or coils on your site. Shoot me a PM if you got them. Fuel line is garbage and being replaced, just taking a beer break in the AC as its hot as balls. Will keep ya'll posted, again thank you all.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Hey WileECoyote, It's Josh. I'm glad you made it home alright. I'm not sure what the initial problem with your 996 is but it seems to have caused several other problems to happen as well. That can be frustrating. I'm not sure if your current battery is a lead acid battery. If it's toasted from this happening it would be a great time to get a light weight lithium battery. I just put one in my Hayabusa. I got 8 years out of my lead acid Yuasa with a Battery tender. So I got my moneys worth out of it. I got an Alien Motion 12cell lithium battery. They look identical to a Ballistic but are a little cheaper. I would like to put one in my Streetfighter S to lose about 6lbs up high in the tail and hopefully have some better cranking ability. Keep us posted on what your findings are with your 996.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey dude! Thank you again it was great meeting you even if I was broke down. Yeah, battery is cooked wont hold a charge at all. Just checked voltage after sitting static unhooked and its down to 11.8 or there abouts. Maybe just a coincedence is what I'm hoping. The tinkering continues......................

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you haven't already, while your replacing the fuel lines might as well pull the fuel pump and replace the filter and the rubber lines too.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Ya, that battery is done. That's to bad. My Alien Motion got here in about two days. I got the balance charger to. Just putting the option out there since you need a battery now. Unless you have a spare battery sitting around. How do all the known problem electrical connectors looking? Any burnt connectors or wiring?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Latest: BOTH connectors burned on regulator. Cut off and soldered back together. Took my time and it looks okay. I also noticed that I lost enough fuel to get into the starter a bit so washed it out with contact cleaner then blown out with compressed air. Gonna use the battery out of Tuono and give her a go to see about running voltage. That'll be tomorrow since I have to work in morning. I am really amazed I didnt wind up in a fireball, guess a good sense of smell helps out. More to follow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts