Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I went riding for the first time yesterday so I did about 300 km riding in city. I noticed that the seat isn't very comfortable, but really I could care less. When I woke up this morning the inside of my legs were hurting so I go to look and there are huge welts/bubbles on the inside of my legs and rash burns. I just find the seat kinda wide I dunno, does anyone else have this problem? Oh and I was wearing jeans, but I dont think that should matter?????

·
Registered
269 Posts
Probably just heatrash, I remember getting it back when the Valkyries came out.

I occasionally get the same on a long trip, use some powder before a ride, and I've found wearing spandex underpants helps a lot too.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Welcome to Ducati world :p

The heat can be discomforting if you are new, and is something that you have to get used to on the bike no matter what kind of riding you do... but I think I have never heard of welts and bubbles though! Not sure what to tell you about that ... perhaps some people's skin are more sensitive than others.

To help reduce heat on the bike itself, you can do a combination of heat wraps and ceramic coating on the pipes... but I have read that each one individually won't do much.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yep - been there. Only happens after a long day in the saddle, especially if it's a hot day. Hasn't been a problem in cooler weather.

I did try cycling shorts but things got REALLY hot in there. Rather than face sterilization, I switched to boxer-briefs and that helped greatly .

Edited to add that this was with textile (mesh) riding pants.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not sure this realy applies to motorcycles, I ride my 749s with jeans all the time on hot days without issue but... Jeans (expecily when they get wet from persperation) can be very abrasive on the skin. I do a lot of horseback rideing and wearing jeans is often a big mistake. The jeans get wet stick to the seat/saddle and then slide accorss your skin untill you get nasty blisters. It can be very painfull. Wearing chaps/leather leggins often fix this in the sadle, might work for your motorcycle too.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I felt aftermarket exhaust did the most to reduce the heat but call me crazy, I jsut never thought mine was that bad. The biggest thing that really keeps the heat away from your skin is leather also. You would think it would just heat up worse, but to me it doesn't.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i'm not a gear nazi,but wear leathers or proper riding pants and you will never have a problem with heat (at least i haven't)

·
comrade moderator
26,989 Posts
300 k's in the city? That's the problem. 749's weren't built to be putted around town. I'd imagine things were getting pretty hot!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Tires or thighs ? A modern temperature conundrum.

No kidding ! Those sound like second degree burns to me. No matter how much we may want to think these bikes are good around town, they just aren't made for the city streets. ( Dedicated posers, your mileage may differ...lol.) You've got to get some cooling airflow going there. Just not possible in the city.

Get thee to a nice road and let that Duc and your inner thighs experience some unrestricted fun. It's the tires that you are supposed to get up to temperature, and not your thighs !

Chuckracer said:
300 k's in the city? That's the problem. 749's weren't built to be putted around town. I'd imagine things were getting pretty hot!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Sounds to me like a case of one HOTT Ducati woman!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Well....since the rest of us are trying to be gentlemen about this let's just say that clinically speaking....yes. She is very, very hot(t).

Stick said:
Sounds to me like a case of one HOTT Ducati woman!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ha ha ha ha .......
Ok so I went down to the dealer cause I do have like second degree burns and I know it is suppose to get hot but that is a little abnormal I thought, I dont know what the temp is suppose to be at , but mine was reading 105-106. So I only started riding yesterday and when I took the bike in today they found the heat problem. I guess who ever pdi my bike did not put in enough coolent it was very low and the service mgr apolagised.Been fine all day now and I rode around for about nine hours with no problem, yea it was a little hot but not to the point where my skin was melted. thnx for the all the info. :D :D :D
Oh and I find I can take corners alot faster now because I am so comfortable with the steering and handling of the bike, it's awesome!
I almost got hit by a van today :mad: . I was riding on the highway and it was pretty jamed with cars, but still we are all going 130k and this idiot no shoulder check and cuts into my lane , I slamed on both brakes, scared the crap outa myself :eek: . I caught up to him, then passed him then gave him the finger from behind ..heh.. grrrrrrrrrrr

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
scary

i feel for ya sister. that van thing sucks. i always pretend i'm invisible and i always assume that everyone around me is TRYING to kill me. ya know, like they will all do the worst thing possible at any given opportunity, so i am always looking for an escape route.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
monstergirl said:
i feel for ya sister. that van thing sucks. i always pretend i'm invisible and i always assume that everyone around me is TRYING to kill me. ya know, like they will all do the worst thing possible at any given opportunity, so i am always looking for an escape route.
Yea pretending is fun and I'll leave it at that or we could start a whole new topic :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
The moment you take another driver's next move for granted, is the moment before you die...... or at least come to know the meaning of pain....

Doc ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Chuckracer said:
Yep, my thoughts exactly, I've done 1100klms in one day on a 998(cool weather, rural roads), but if I rode a Ducati for 300k's around the city, I'd be a jibbering wreck and need to be hospitalized/certified! :eek:

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Howdy DragonLady:

Glad you're OK. Sounds like you've got a pretty good "defensive driving" head on your shoulders--don't ever let that defense down.

Hey, thanks for not guilotining me about the fun jab I made... It was too close to the other Hott Lady thread to just let it slide by. I assure you, it was only in jest.

I hope you and your bike are OK in the long run, because it's not a nice thing to overheat a Ducati engine...

Keep tha shiney side up!
Stick

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Stick said:
Howdy DragonLady:

Glad you're OK. Sounds like you've got a pretty good "defensive driving" head on your shoulders--don't ever let that defense down.

Hey, thanks for not guilotining me about the fun jab I made... It was too close to the other Hott Lady thread to just let it slide by. I assure you, it was only in jest.

I hope you and your bike are OK in the long run, because it's not a nice thing to overheat a Ducati engine...

Keep tha shiney side up!
Stick
Boy, I'd be worried about overheating!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Heat Rash and Such

Long distance riders deal with this sort of thing and advise steering clear of cotton fabrics against the skin. There are several manufacturers making synthetic under-clothing which wicks away moisture and heat which are the cause of your problem. There was a test of a number of such items in Motorcycle Consumer News just this winter. Those fabrics are also supposed to keep you warmer in winter as well. Columbia products rated near the top. Those items can be found at leading sporting goods stores and mail order companies like Cabela's. I bought some just the other day but have yet to try them. Under shorts and t-shirts as well. I suppose gals can wear those men's shorts, just not as brief as some might like. I do think they will help with the problem you encountered.

·
Registered
135 Posts
like bicycle shorts? would that help? i'll do anything to fix this heat issue. i want to have kids someday!

bike temp isnt hot, but the thighs trap in all the heat. cracking the knees open only helps while they're open. new exhaust, wrap exhaust, new riding position? i gotta figure it out soon.

i'm currently wearing jeans and boxer shorts on the 999. i'm looking to buy pants soon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts