Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Multistrada Enduro just done 20,000 kms but last 5,000 kms have been putting in 200 ml of oil every 1,500 kms, still runs well, no smoke on start up, wondering if anyone else has this problem with the 1260 engine, or any suggestions still under warranty do I put it on Ducati to check it out, maybe it’s a ring????

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Some others have experienced similar oil consumption.

I fortunately am not experiencing any oil consumption. I’ve got 16000 miles on the clock. I don’t think your level of oil consumption is normal or acceptable, but I’m with ricko. Ducati will most likely tell you it’s within spec.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sideways question--how did you break-in the motor? Did you follow OEM recommendations and keep the revs low or did you follow the high-compression method and rip on it?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
One thing I noted on my 1098, not sure if it's relevant for the 1260. If I fill to the top line, it's using oil until enough (I guess) have been sucked up by the engine and settle lower.

I now always fill the engine to the lower line of the sight glass and it doesn't use any oil.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Ricko, now that you mention that, I experience similar on my 900. High revs expedite this process. I’m pretty sure it leaves via crankcase breather.

Reactions: Strega

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is an excellent question ^^.

All you folks who "burn oil": has the oil level ever dropped below the low line? Where do you fill to?

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
787 Posts
My 1260S with 22k miles needs topping off (from bottom to top line in sight glass) every few thousand miles. I think Ducati says that up to a quart every 500 miles is "within spec"...nuts, eh?

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 1260S with 22k miles needs topping off (from bottom to top line in sight glass) every few thousand miles. I think Ducati says that up to a quart every 500 miles is "within spec"...nuts, eh?
Does it ever drop below the bottom line? I fill my '16 1200 to spec, with a warm motor to the bottom line and it never lose a drop. And I ride it like I stole it.

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
787 Posts
Does it ever drop below the bottom line? I fill my '16 1200 to spec, with a warm motor to the bottom line and it never lose a drop. And I ride it like I stole it.
I don't let it go below the bottom line...and I check it warm after letting it sit awhile on the sidestand and then up on the centerstand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sideways question--how did you break-in the motor? Did you follow OEM recommendations and keep the revs low or did you follow the high-compression method and rip on it?
Short shifted first 800 kms then opened it up after that to a 1000 kms

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah, but how do you know it will if every time it hits the line you add oil?
Because if it’s above the window and I ride 200 or 300 kms and I see at the very bottom of the window I top it up I don’t ride a 1000 kms without having oil full at window marker

1 - 20 of 37 Posts