Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have an '08 848 with the Ti Termi slip-ons with the cat inside the can.

I noticed at my last two track days an odd burning smell coming from my bike somewhere, but could not trace it. I thought a wire or hose was resting on one of the pipes or something, but could not source it. Almost smelled like an electrical fire.

After sticking a flashlight in my exhaust, I found my right muffler is completely open. The ENTIRE catalytic converter melted/burned out!

I didn't really notice the bike running any different, but my questions are this;

1. What would cause this? Has this happened before? Is it a failure of the muffler itself, or is there an obvious greater problem?

2.What do I need to do now? I really don't want to shell out for a whole new exhaust. Can I leave it? Core the other one somehow and see how it runs?Maybe richen it up a bit?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
If a cat melts, it's usually because of an over rich condition. You could have a bad O2 sensor on that cylinder, or an injector problem. I'm surprised it hasn't thrown a code for something. If you do your own service, have a look at the plugs to see if the one for that cylinder looks different. Otherwise, it's dealer time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
yeah, I was wondering if I could be burning fuel through the pipes and muffler.

Definitely no codes showing or anything though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 for there being an issue, probably with fueling. Did you notice a lot of popping / banging? The other, unlikely, possibility is that something physically went out the pipe and smashed the cat on the way. I've only seen this on cars when a turbo fails and fires a ton of shrapnel into the exhaust system, but theoretically the mamba sensor or exhaust valve could have come lose and been fired out. Unlikely, but you never know.

The bike will run just fine without any cats at all. I have slipping akra cans on my 1198 which dump the stock cats and are designed to replIcate the back pressure of the stock cans, so no remap required. I would think coring the other can would be a bad idea though. I will wreck a perfectly good can and may change the back pressure, requiring a new ecu to level it out. I could be wrong though. I'd get the offending cylinder checked, then either replace the wrecked can or with a pair of catless cans (sell the stock one that's still good).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, Bike is in the shop. I'll see what they say....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts