Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing coils, regulator and ignition modules the old 900 started up, settled down to a nice idle, crisp throttle response, everything I wanted except, after less than 2 minutes of running I noticed smoke and melted black plastic sheathing at the 2 yellow wires coming from my new Electrosport regulator.

Faulty regulator or something more diabolical??
WTF, if I had hair I would pull it out

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wires melted at the regulator not from the alternator (case)
Also the regulator has a pair of yellow marked (1, 2), a pair of reds,(3 and 4) these connect together for 1 red) a white (5) and a black (6).
The Haynes manual shows a pair of yellows (5 and 6), a pair of reds (3 and 4) , red/white (2), a red/ black (1) and a black unnumbered wire exiting the side of the regulator no white.
Is the manual wrong?
Does any one have a factory manual for a 1997 900 SS?

very confusing

·
Registered
165 Posts
Search for the colour wiring diagram on here. I replaced my r/r with a mosfte off of an R1 with Eastern Beaver wiring, its easy to do & I haven't had any problems

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The connectors on the alternator wires are prone to overheating if there is even a slight looseness in the connections. Many have eliminated the bullet connectors and used permanent soldered or crimped butt connectors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts