Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

The bike: 1994 900 SS/SP (#115 if that means anything).

I picked up my new(to me) 900 SS last Friday. I rode it home(about 8 miles) and it ran awesome. So awesome that I took it over to my mothers(about three miles) to show her. On the way home from my mothers, it started running rough and ultimately stalled. I got it started and limped it back home.

So here is the deal. It will run great....for only a mile. Then it shuts down. Sometimes it will start back up, but will run rough.

So far, I took off the tank and shook it out. I didn't see any rust or anything.

I put the tank back on and ran it for a mile the other night. It stalled as usual. So this time I removed the fuel line to see if any gas was coming through. Despite the sound of the fuel pump running, there was no gas coming out of the detached line.

The only mod I can see is that the PO has run the main line, and the line next to it(return?) into a three way junction. I think I saw that mod mentioned when lurking last week.

So: Should I see gas coming out of the line when the fuel pump is running?

Any ideas? I need to get this puppy running.

Thanks for reading this long post.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Whistlebritches - Good call. Filter was fine

SOLVED - This does not bode well for me on this forum, but the answer was the Petcock. I did not have it fully turned on! I am so stupid. Oh well, at least now I can take off a tank and re-install in record time.

Sorry for the dumb first post.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just as stupid as leaving the choke cracked open, and wondering why the bike doesn't want to idle!

Happens to the best of us, and is a great day when it's a free fix!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Don't ever turn that petcock off again and you'll never have that problem. Unless your carbs have a stuck float valve, or you want to remove the tank, leave it open.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pleased you got it going, and don't worry, we all do things like that. Just some don't admit to it. I've just put the new clutch back in my bike for the 3rd time. Took that long for me to work out all the steels are not the same. One of the guys I was riding dirt bikes with a few years back was good at it too. Lost count of the times we went riding only to find he had forgoten to put fuel in his bike!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I knew a guy many years ago when we were all rookies that had the dealer come to pick up his new bike that wouldn't start. The guy showed up, turned the kill switch back to "run" and it fired right up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A few years back my 5 year old girl decided to help dad with his dirt bike. Love her being in the shed with me but didn't spot her making some "adjustments" to the carb. I must have kicked that bike over 200 times before I worked it out, and then only when I took the carb off and spotted the slide sitting way too high. On another occasion I got a suprise to see a screw driver fire out of the muffler on startup. Kids, they just make me grin.

·
Registered
267 Posts
... turned the kill switch back to "run" and it fired right up.
Same here, though luckily, I eventually figured out the kill-switch myself, but only after removing and re-installing the fuel tank a second and third time to see what I might have knocked loose the first time when I removed and replaced it the first go-around.

It's all just a learning experience to teach us to check the simple things first.

Bryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts