Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, Im new here and not much of a internet forum type person, but, I've had a 999 that I've raced in the past and currently use it as a track back here in colorado.

So, im pretty excited about a motor project i've been getting worked on and thought i'd share what I was doing.

Last summer I accidentally ran my 03 999 race bike out of oil on the track last season and seized the motor, the oil screen wasn't installed right after I changed the oil and it blocked one of the oil passages and was limiting oil flow to the motor, and one of the vertical cams seized in the head after 8 laps. woops....lesson learned.

Anyways, I found a sweet deal on ebay for an 05 999s deep sump motor from bob setbacken(ducati racer and good guy to deal with for sure!) in california and had it shipped to me. and now I am in the process of getting it built for this coming season.

I haven't raced for a few years but when I did, I raced against a guy here in colorado that is a ducati machinist and just so happens to live not to far from me, he's going to be putting in oversized Titanium valves in my heads and is doing some valve seat stuff to them. He's using pics of my heads on his web site, http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/valve.html

bascially, what Im getting are 2mm oversized custom Titanium valves, and custom High comp pistons, carrillo con rods and a lightened crankshaft, the 05 s motor has "R" cams, so I was told this should be a nice motor, maybe not the power of a 1098 but pretty good.

I'll try and report my final results from the dyno and seat of the pants dyno when it's back together.

Mike Mcferon
mra #357(retired)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Talk to Mark Sutton @ DucShop. Nice guy with lots of advice. I've ridden with a rider using one of his motors... No doubt, very very fast.

As for rods, if you have an 05 999S motor I think it already came stock with Ti rods. Not sure if there's any benefit to the Carillo's

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds promising. Waiting for more info.

P.S. pm me if you are going to sell your stock conrods...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts