Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm replacing my 1000sq ft garage/barn with a new garage. I NEED ideas and PICS for the "999r" Section.....

Will have two or three bays..probably three. Wondering if I should build a separate closed off section for the scooter!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wouldn't close it off, but I would have it heated and ac'ed (optional)... and I would have a hole in the concrete to fit a bike lift into so when you weren't using it, you could lower the lift and it would fit flush with the floor.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
This is what I'm looking into for the flooring for my garage...

http://www.ironitecoatings.com/pages/1/index.htm

But I don't know if it will stand up to an automotive floor jack with metal wheels.

I'm also going to look into wall lighting. They kind they have in automotive spray booths. That would be very nice when you're working on the Ducati.
I'v spent my whole life wrenching in dimly lit garages, its payback time. :)

I'm going to hang air lines from connectors in the ceiling as well.

I'm going to try and model my garage after the rooms they build the Ducati superbikes in (but only smaller) :) Very purpose built and sterile.

When I walk into a shop that you can eat off the floor, you know they take their wrenching seriously.

That in-ground lift is a great idea.

I'll post up my plans when I've moved in and had a chance to take dimensions, etc..

Keep us posted on the garage.

BTW, if I had a 1000sqft garage, I would squander some of that space with a bar for before, during and after wrenching cocktails, a multi media room to review race footage and critique the Ducati racers on how to ride faster the day after the race and maybe a parts room for a growing collection of parts i'll need to help keep the Ducati on the street. Maybe a "wet" area to wash the bike down after a romp on the salt encrusted streets of the northeast. :)

Me, I (will) have a 2 car garage, I'm still trying to figure out where the lawnmower will go because it surely won't be going into the garage.:)

·
Registered
401 Posts
brianmdavis said:
Wondering if I should build a separate closed off section for the scooter!
Main reasons to close of the bike area would be less dust.
Also for heat/cooling purposes if that's needed. Most people don't like the expense of heating/cooling a 3 bay garage so they close off one bay to heat/cool and work in year round.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would build in a pit with removable sections of grating... like you see on the sidewalks over subway maintenance hatches.

That way I could pull the cars/trucks in and do oil changes and also just pull out a single section and be able to dump the bike fluids too.

I would also have a "lounge" area complete with flat panel tv, beer fridge and couches.

Run air lines around all the walls.

I would have electric outlets everwhere. Every 6 feet on the walls and even several drops from the celing.

Plenty of lighting.

Bathroom - with shower. It would be nice to be able to clean up sometime before going into the house all grimed up.

Hot and cold running water... it's nice to wash the bikes and cars in the winter with warm water.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
good lighting is a must, it is near impossible to have too much. use several switches, so you can do zone lighting as well as general lighting. three way switches so you can turn them on/off from either door. don't use plastic pipe for your air lines, it really is not up to the task. if you do use plastic, keep it exposed so that you can repair it when it breaks. insulation in the walls and ceiling. not just for the heat/cold, but helps keep the noise down for the nextdoor folks. my garage door is insulated also. non skid floor surface. oil is hard to clean out of bare concrete.
stronger ceiling joists than the standard minimum. lets you hang things safely, like your bike when working on the forks. most truss roofs just have a 2X4 bottom chord. lots of plugs with several circuits. aircompressor on its own line. several 220 outlets for welder.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you have cold winters where you live I would suggest putting hydronic coils in the floor. It takes a bit to ge the slab heated up, especially if it's -20 outside, but it sure is nice to have an 80 degree floor to stand or lay on.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
dmcghostrider said:
Go with the floor tiles, easy to clean and many colors. Tiles are very very durable and easy to clean and the bikes on the stands will slide on the floor

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/dscotsman/P1010030.jpg
What happens if you spill < insert chemical here > on it? Does it seep through the cracks?

I was thinking of using that rubberized tile but only for a small section.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No problems with spills

go's downs the holes, chemicals wont effect the tiles. I ether vacuum it up or use a power washer to spay out the garage and the waste just runs under the tiles out the door. Areas of your every day drivers takes a little more cleaning so you could just put them down in one or two bays.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Don't forget a "tear down area" and "Build up area" and put a sink in there with mini fridge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts