Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a continuation of the original thread which is a poll. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/37498-998-1098-a.html The title isn't right so I thought I'd start a new one. This is a build that started ten years ago. It was completed to the point of running but had some small issues with idling and sat in Daniels garage until he gave it to me. This is the place where I update the build with pictures and ask questions from those who may have completed a similar build or are more knowledgeable than I.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fuel pump question

This tank and fuel assembly originated on a 916. The pump was an after market Walbro 521 which I am going to replace since (as stated in the original thread) it was stored with fuel and melted all of the interior rubber. Since this is a 1098 engine but 998/916 parts, do I need to use a 1098 fuel pump? What I'm getting at is there a difference in pressure coming from the pump between the fuel injected and EFI systems of the 998 and 1098?

·
Registered
337 Posts
The fuel pump from either machine should work. Generally speaking all port fuel injection engines run 43psi (ball park) of fuel pressure at idle. The fuel pump is capable of well more than that given the small volume lines, so it is the regulator's job to reduce the pressure seen by the injectors to apprx 43psi.

Basically, almost any EFI that fits in the tank will work properly provided you have the correct fuel pressure regulator in place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Very helpful.

The fuel pump from either machine should work. Generally speaking all port fuel injection engines run 43psi (ball park) of fuel pressure at idle. The fuel pump is capable of well more than that given the small volume lines, so it is the regulator's job to reduce the pressure seen by the injectors to apprx 43psi.

Basically, almost any EFI that fits in the tank will work properly provided you have the correct fuel pressure regulator in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts