Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
What's not to like? Two of the three chose the SF. The buell IS a better city bike. I've ridden it. The SF is a better road bike and is much more thrilling to ride. Most Ducati owners do care about fit and finish, where the masses are not as fussy. The duc is a whole other level with regards to quality - and aesthetics.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dang I bought the wrong bike...............NOT!

We're very lucky to have the level of choices in bikes to purchase, the SF is a blast to ride on the street and track :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've ridden both as well.....

I wouldn't trade my SF for any other bike out there! It's unique, it's Italian, and... IT's A DUCATI! What else is there to know?

·
Bon Vivant
10,925 Posts
I wouldn't disagree with anything they said about the SF.

They are right-on, But even with the results that had to be formed two of three testers said they would take the SF over the Buell
and the third said he thought the buell was ugly but he'd still choose it because of the price.
We just happen to agee with all of them but won't compromise because of cost...

From the article:

Both the Streetfighter and the 1125CR were easily the biggest surprises of this comparison, but for different reasons. As we expected, the $14,995 Streetfighter shined around the racetrack where its track-derived chassis and previous generation World Superbike-based engine were engineered. But on the street it’s simply a bit too aggressive. It delivers a rough ride and its handlebar is mounted too low, creating a seating position that is too racetrack oriented. The ultra-high transmission gearing isn’t well suited for full-time life on the streets as well, and it can be more difficult to maneuver in the tight urban confines.

We are, however, absolutely in love with its styling, engine sound, and the way it scares people as we’re wheeling past them, clicking easily through the gearbox down the road. If Ducati could just make the bike a bit more street-able – i.e. higher handlebar, a more relaxed seating position, lower gearing, they’d have a winner without question.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
And the biggest thing was;

If Ducati could just make the bike a bit more street-able – i.e. higher handlebar, a more relaxed seating position, lower gearing, they’d have a winner without question.
So let me see; handlebar $90 and sprocket $48 = CLEAR WINNER BY A MILE
So for less than $150 you end up with a bike that has tons more power, looks waaaaaay better and blitzes the competition. OK, sure, we pay a premium, but then we are buying the Ferrari of motorcycles.

Funny I have not had any head shake or noticed any handling difficulty around town.
Sorry but the Buell is pretty ugly to my eyes. Now if they employed an Italian design house...Hmmmm

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
For the Buell;

Redesign the tail to be more aggressive...

Get rid of the damn massive side scoops...

Redesign the exhaust system....

Give the option to have a translucent tank, a la the City X...

And than *maybe* I would be more excited about it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
We are, however, absolutely in love with its styling, engine sound, and the way it scares people as we’re wheeling past them, clicking easily through the gearbox down the road. If Ducati could just make the bike a bit more street-able – i.e. higher handlebar, a more relaxed seating position, lower gearing, they’d have a winner without question.[/I]
So what they want is a MONSTER?????

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Damn!...I shoulda bought the Buell that's been gathering dust on the dealer's showroom floor for the last 6 months or so, probably coulda got a deal...

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
I went to the local Harley dealer the other day and just as I expected, the Buell is one ugly mutha. Beyond me why they would come out with a design like that, the side picture posted her reminds me of a bike with hugh tumors on it. It kind of looked cheap too.

I'm no fan of the SF either, but the Buell with a few or more design changes could vastly improve its appeal. Its got the price point and according to the article some positive handling characteristics. As I said I'm not excited about the looks of the SF, but if you were to upgrade things, like Motowheels did, I could become a fan. I was really impressed with the Motowheels SF and it wasn't near being over the top when I saw it. So that sounds like the costs to improve it might not be too bad. However, I believe at this time the bike is going through another metamorphasis and you gonna have to assume the price tag will go up considerably. Now that will be for a maxed out model, you don't have to go nuts to improve its looks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I actually looked at the Buell before I bought my streetfighter, but the people at the Harley dealer were complete a-h's and didn't seem like they even had one care about selling bikes. I guess I didn't look like a harley dude or something. The main problem though is that the bike has got to be in the top 10 of ugly bikes, even when you see it in real life.

I hope Buell fixes the ugly on that bike, its a great bike but gee.

·
Bon Vivant
10,925 Posts
I can just imagine the designer as he puts the finishing touches on the clay model, he steps back and says "oh yeah we got a winner here".

He's probably waiting tables right now... :abduct:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I actually looked at the Buell before I bought my streetfighter, but the people at the Harley dealer were complete a-h's and didn't seem like they even had one care about selling bikes. I guess I didn't look like a harley dude or something. The main problem though is that the bike has got to be in the top 10 of ugly bikes, even when you see it in real life.

I hope Buell fixes the ugly on that bike, its a great bike but gee.
What I have found is they dont care about selling Buells as they are not Harleys and yes you probably didnt look right either:rolleyes:

I agree with everyone here, the 1125CR is one ugly bike:eek:

·
Bon Vivant
10,925 Posts
What I have found is they dont care about selling Buells as they are not Harleys and yes you probably didnt look right either:rolleyes:

I agree with everyone here, the 1125CR is one ugly bike:eek:
The HD sales people don't have much time for people who want to buy Buells certainly not the Rotax Buell.

There's no love for the sportbike crowd in a HD dealership.

A Duc dealership near-by was purchased by the local HD dealer - I went over there to check it out - never again, just not my scene,
thought a "pirates of the Caribbean" play was gonna break out any minute.
Yo ho-ho got my vest and my patches and a bottle of rum... :sleep:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The only thing the Buell's got going for it is the rotax engine which are wonderful. Buell does not seem to be able to turn out a good looking bike of any sort. He's had some interesting innovations in his designs, but very poor execution. Tho I will say the build quality has improved substantially these last few years.

Chris

·
Registered
465 Posts
thought a "pirates of the Caribbean" play was gonna break out any minute.
Yo ho-ho got my vest and my patches and a bottle of rum... :sleep:
Now that's funny! LMAO! Every time I see one of those yuppy wanna be bikers I'm going to think of this now! I love it. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
And the biggest thing was;

So let me see; handlebar $90 and sprocket $48 = CLEAR WINNER BY A MILE
So for less than $150 you end up with a bike that has tons more power, looks waaaaaay better and blitzes the competition. OK, sure, we pay a premium, but then we are buying the Ferrari of motorcycles.

Funny I have not had any head shake or noticed any handling difficulty around town.
Sorry but the Buell is pretty ugly to my eyes. Now if they employed an Italian design house...Hmmmm
Tons more power? It dynoed 16rwhp less than the ducati.

I can get a 1125cr for $8995 right now and at that price it's a no brainer. I like the look except for the mirrors, which I would remove on the ducati as well. It's a mean looking bike from the front.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts