Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my friends new Buell tonight. We put maybe 75 miles on each others bikes tonight

He fell in love with my Hyper and i hated riding his heavy ass ill handling Buell.

I would pull away from my Hyper when we were going 125 mph+ but the Buell was uncomfy and the torque was lacking unless you had it revved up pretty high , when we stopped at lights the heat generating from his bike sucked.
The heavy sluggish handling of the Buell made me think it might slip out on me when we were cornering kinda fast on tight corners.

He told me the Hyper scared him when he gassed a bit hard exiting a tight corner in 2nd gear, the front wheel lofted a bit and he clipped The curb with my rear wheel.
He told me later that he might trade in his Buell in on a Hyper or the new Street Fighter.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Which Buell ?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Interesting, its raining here so, being a wimp, I took the car. At the lights I was looking at a saturated guy on a Buell and thought its not a bad looking bike and wondered why I didn't get one of them.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My brother-in-law has a Buell City X XB9 or whatever they call that thing. I rode it home from the dealer for him and kind of liked it. He was talking about selling it about a year ago and I was seriously considering buying it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It must have been the 1125. My brother has an '06 XB9X, and for sure it does not suck or handle poorly. The suspension is great once set up and it handles great too, I suspect the bike you rode was not set up correctly. It shakes at idle and throws some heat at stop lights but its stock, that can be addressed with mapping. Also has a lot of low end pull out of corners just does not carry the power as high in the rev range. My Hyper was a toaster too before the DP ECU. For <$5K used with 4K miles on it its a hell of a bike, has character, just a different kind. We rode 350 mile days and it was no issue for him, leaving on another weekend trip through VT and NY tommorrow AM. If I had room and $$ for a second street bike it would likely be a Buell Uly for longer trips in all weather and mixed roads.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a brand new XB12R Ulysses, It a cool looking bike but the power band sucks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rode my friends new Buell tonight. We put maybe 75 miles on each others bikes tonight

He fell in love with my Hyper and i hated riding his heavy ass ill handling Buell.

I would pull away from my Hyper when we were going 125 mph+ but the Buell was uncomfy and the torque was lacking unless you had it revved up pretty high , when we stopped at lights the heat generating from his bike sucked.
The heavy sluggish handling of the Buell made me think it might slip out on me when we were cornering kinda fast on tight corners.

He told me the Hyper scared him when he gassed a bit hard exiting a tight corner in 2nd gear, the front wheel lofted a bit and he clipped The curb with my rear wheel.
He told me later that he might trade in his Buell in on a Hyper or the new Street Fighter.
Ahhh yes, the bikes people love to bash. I traded my beloved XB12S/R in for my Hyper and am still sad that I had to part with her for the Duc. Financial circumstances set aside, it was one fantastic motorcycle. Everyone who had the opportunity to ride her was impressed - and we're talking about experienced, skilled, savy, motorcycle enthusiasts. Isn't it interesting that a few years back, one of the reputable sportbike magazines had a run-off of the 50 best turning/handling motorcycles and the Buell XB came in number two to a Ducati. I suppose it is because of the early models - glorified Sportsters, that gave the brand its stigma, but most everyone who has owned an XB or later (1125's) are impressed with all aspects of the bike. Erik has it right - many of the things that a lot of the other manufacturers are doing now: lower centralized mass, under carriage exhaust, rider ergonomics... all trade-mark Buell concepts. I, for one, appreciate anything on two wheels and don't understand where someone gets-off bashing a brand that has so many positive qualities. If the bike doesn't fit you, don't ride it.

·
7,733 Posts
It was a brand new XB12R Ulysses, It a cool looking bike but the power band sucks
So, a Buell XB2XT Ulysses "adventure bike" was *pulling away* from a Hyper once over 125mph? They have like a 6K red line. :eek: Please don't tell me that was with side cases on. :) Most "XB" reviews I read from owners are positive. I didn't think they had that type of top end speed. I figured they'd top out at around 125-130. Have you changed your gearing?

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's correct. My XB12S/R topped-out at 130... going down hill, with the wind behind it. LOL But man, could it hold it's line at 80 through the sweepers. It was so hard to upset it's balance. That's what i'm LOVING about the Hyper. The longer wheelbase compliments its power and the over-all geometry is an absolute joy. My only diappointment is the suspension. I'm going to upgrade with gold valves and Racetech springs for sure. I'm not sure about the "S" Ohlins and Kayaba set-up. I didn't buy the "S"... not enough $$$ Same old story...

·
7,733 Posts
That's correct. My XB12S/R topped-out at 130... going down hill, with the wind behind it.
That's what I figured and am surprised to hear any XB 12 was "pulling away" from anything after 125. Those last 5mph don't come none too quick. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm heading straight over to the Buell forum to bash Ducati.:eek:

Kaput

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
My only diappointment is the suspension. I'm going to upgrade with gold valves and Racetech springs for sure. I'm not sure about the "S" Ohlins and Kayaba set-up. I didn't buy the "S"... not enough $$$ Same old story...

you better do some reading. I don't think you are getting into the marzoc's. They have sealed cartridges and require you to replace to whole thing with a $1200 upgrade.

·
Registered
123 Posts
you better do some reading. I don't think you are getting into the marzoc's. They have sealed cartridges and require you to replace to whole thing with a $1200 upgrade.
Aftershocks in Livermore, CA quoted me less than $800 on a trick set-up. They have done lots of work for me and others in my riding group. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hooked on phonics.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts