Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get a few opinions on my situation. I am a Duc lover to the core. Since the first time I saw my buddies yellow mono 748 I have been in love. After graduating, getting married, and making some real money I decided it was time to get back on a bike. I knew that my choice would fall between the 749 and the 999, but after a bad visit to the dealer I started to have doubts. I had driven 5 hours round trip to the nearest Duc dealer and was denied a test ride and basically brushed off by the staff. Appearently, the 24 year olds they know don't pull $100K a year. I might as well have been 13 yrs. old. So I made it home and started looking at all of my local dealerships, which consist of every Jap maker and a Harley/Buell dealership. I decided I didn't want to be like the majority of bikers I knew so I skipped the Jap crap and went to test ride the XB12R Firebolt which I immediately fell in love with. This bike will tear-up mountain backroads. Six months and 4K miles later I still love the 'bolt, but I wander if I should have purchased my dream bike despite the issues. I have heard countless times on the Buell forums how much better the buell is on the street compared to the Duc's, but I want your opinions. Most important I suppose is the fact that I keep coming back to this board to see your pics and read about your bikes, not that I don't spend way too much time at the Buell forum, but you understand...

Kilgore

·
comrade moderator
26,798 Posts
Sounds like you will probably own a Duc someday, but for now love the ride your on! You are young and will have LOTS of bikes.

The Buells are very cool bikes. Stand proud!

I can imagine the Buell is a better streetbike than the 749 I own. I'm an ex-racer and can strafe with the best of them (well, close behind, anyway!), but honestly mate, my next bike will be more of an all-rounder. The 749 really feels like quite a waste of hardware on the street, even in the canyons. If the racetrack is in you future, then great, but...

That's my 2cents anyhoo!

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Ditto what Chuckracer said. Never ridden a XB12R Firebolt but find it very interesting. I really like my 749 but it doesn't get ridden as much as my all-round bike (Multistrada) because I'm not 24 anymore.

I wouldn't buy from a dealer that blows me either.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I hate those damn bikes... I was gridded on the 4th row last weekend and had 10 of them in front of me, blowing oil all over my face shield in all the turns....

just kidding. I'm only pissed because they are allowed in the lightweight classes.

I actually like them, and if I weren't on an Italian twin I'd be on a Buell.

They are rockin' bikes. But, them being better on the street than a Duc is stretching it [you are, after all, reading that on a Buell forum] I think with equal riders, a 1000SS will spank it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Personally I think Buells were beaten with an ugly-stick but...

"Ride what you inspires you" is what I always say. While I am moderately interested in the performance data of modern bikes, almost all of them kick ass in some manner or another. So, at the end of the day, it's about what you have the most fun on, not what bike beat which on some track in some place I'll probably never even see.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Like yourself, I love the Ducs, and I've wanted one since I bought my first Jap bike years ago, but I have also been tempted by the Buells. Although, I'm afraid, that like you, I'll buy a Buell, and I'll just want a Duc so bad, that I'll sell the Buell and buy one. So I'm trying to hold off, to make sure I get what I want the first time!

Although I do understand being treated badly by a dealer. I've been to several dealers, and I'm not given the time of day when I look at a new 749 or 999. I'm a female, and I am 24, so they figure I'm the last person in the world they are going to sell a bike to....boy are they wrong. So keep your head up, your not the only one its happening to!

·
Registered
304 Posts
how do you keep your hands and feet from going numb on the buel?

i took my buddies buel out for 20 mins or so and i lost all the feeling in my fingers and toes. those bikes can shake :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
deputydog95 said:
how do you keep your hands and feet from going numb on the buel?

i took my buddies buel out for 20 mins or so and i lost all the feeling in my fingers and toes. those bikes can shake :)
my hands go numb on my 748 too. ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
mattjw916 said:
my hands go numb on my 748 too. ;)
Mine go numb on all my bikes, thank god for the cruise control (or bike warm up lever) on the 999R, that thing saves my hand everytime, I just pull back that lever and let go for as along as I need to get my hand feeling again

·
Registered
113 Posts
i rode a xb9 with the screamin eagle kit on it... Had a blast... good riding postion, great flickability, low on power (its the 9), didn't like the front brakes either, but really want to own one....oh yeah, they sound great too!! enjoy it. It's too bad that you couldn't test ride a ducati.. maybe one of the guys on here will let you ride one of theirs.... I know I would if you came over...

·
comrade moderator
26,798 Posts
Sure, c'mon out to Arizona for the weekend...we can swap bikes...maybe wanna wait for fall, though. 112 today. Bike is on stands, on trickle charger, coverd.:(

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
love what you ride and when you can, ride what you love. I waited way too long to buy my Ducati, and now I own 2 and keep looking at buying another.
when you read about the new motocross bikes, the mags all say the same thing. buy the bike that has the best local dealer. while I would not go that far about a street bike, I go 2 1/2 hrs drive to the dealer that I bought my Duc from. must be dozens of dealers I pass and another Ducati dealer also. Modesto Ducati gave me a test ride and that sealed the deal for me. I also did a test ride on a Buell and was favorably impressed. still, it was the ducati that really talked to me and I would not change to a Buell. even if I had to go to another state for a Ducati dealer, that is what I would do now. The local Harley/Buell dealer is clueless about Buells. My closest Ducati dealer is Clueless about Ducati. I do appreciate your desire to ride something different from the crowd. get whatever works for you and RIDE!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get one of each!

I have owned two Buells since 1999. One M2 street bike and one M2 race bike. I love them. However, I have lusted over Ducatis since I first saw the 916 in Cycle World back in 1993. Yesterday, I could finally afford to add my dream bike to the stable. I now have 1-1/2 Buells and a 2001 996 in my garage. There is just something about all "V" engines I love.....sound, slim, torque, street riding, you name it. I am too new to Ducatis to know what support issues may lie ahead, but I am afraid Buells are not much better. They seem to be HDs redheaded step child. Can't say I am a fan of the new XB Buells, but I do understand your problem. Wait a few years and buy your Ducati. I am pretty sure that Peter Egan endorses that everyone NEEDS five motorcycles at any given time.

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
snowdave said:
I am too new to Ducatis to know what support issues may lie ahead, but I am afraid Buells are not much better. They seem to be HDs redheaded step child.
In terms of reliability Buells are not much better than Ducati? What makes you think they are ANY better? From everything I can gather they are considerably worse, both in terms of quality control and dealer support. And I'm basing that primarily on what American's have reported. If they were biased I would expect it to be in FAVOR of the Buell, not the brand from Italy. Maybe if Eric had based his innovative designs on an innovative engine that didn't shake things wouldn't rattle apart so often.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
snowdave said:
I am pretty sure that Peter Egan endorses that everyone NEEDS five motorcycles at any given time.
Yes, one for every work day of the week!!! All I need is 2 more and I am there!!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I havent ever ridden one, but I think the frame technology is cool, and the brakes too. But that motor! So prehistoric. That has always turned me off about the Buells. The Duc motors are modern in their design. Good air flow and optimized for performance. Amazes me that a small company like Ducati, can build such high performance motors, GP bikes, WSB's and H-D, with all its resources cannot develop a high performance twin. I think the Buells would sell more bikes if they had a decent, lighter twin motor.

Mike

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Mike said:
In terms of reliability Buells are not much better than Ducati? What makes you think they are ANY better? From everything I can gather they are considerably worse, both in terms of quality control and dealer support. And I'm basing that primarily on what American's have reported. If they were biased I would expect it to be in FAVOR of the Buell, not the brand from Italy. Maybe if Eric had based his innovative designs on an innovative engine that didn't shake things wouldn't rattle apart so often.
Mike - I'm assuming this is based on the notriously bad earlier Buells? The current XB series are considerably better in reliability from reports and forums I've seen, because of a huge drive by HD to get rid of the earlier Buell reputation. Have you seen stats on the current 03+ models?

There's something kinda neat, IMO about a 50+MPG short, light, high-torque, simple sportbike which requires zero valve maintenance, zero chain maintenace, zero TBS syncs, zero coolant and has about the best Specific Fuel Index of any motorcycle engine currently built. Very efficient motor, even if it's no HP powerhouse.

Oh...and they're SMOOTHER than just about any other V-twin at cruise or mid-range speeds, although they do shake like a paint mixer at idle. (I personally think that's kinda cool!)

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
ducatimike said:
I think the Buells would sell more bikes if they had a decent, lighter twin motor.

Mike
...that and HD should really look at selling Buell Franchises to other dealerships. If Buells were available in the Japanese four and Euro dealers, I think they'd be reaching more potential Buell buyers. It really is amazing how many folks do NOT know what one is so why would they(potential Buell buyer) go to the HD dealer to check out what they didn't know existed? That's just my opinion so "blah blah blah". Also, I've ridden both the Lightning and the Firebolt and I really liked the Lightning. So it wasn't the best at everything, but it was plain ole darn fun to ride.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
SeanFromTX said:
...that and HD should really look at selling Buell Franchises to other dealerships. If Buells were available in the Japanese four and Euro dealers, I think they'd be reaching more potential Buell buyers. It really is amazing how many folks do NOT know what one is so why would they(potential Buell buyer) go to the HD dealer to check out what they didn't know existed? That's just my opinion so "blah blah blah". Also, I've ridden both the Lightning and the Firebolt and I really liked the Lightning. So it wasn't the best at everything, but it was plain ole darn fun to ride.
+1 No squid is going to walk into a HD dealer. Loss of potential sales there being permanently attached to HD like that.

The closest bike dealer near me is HD and I needed a trickle charger. I saw a bunch of them. The bikes are innovative to say the least but dismissed it due to its close ties with HD.

I actually rode a fairly new one in my safety class (~50 miles on the clock), a Buell Blast. It felt cheesey. Erogs were way off and uncomfortable. I would rather get a Jap bike based on that experience.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A few points...........

Having been a Buell owner and will own another in the near future.......

Reliability.....Pre 2004...You're on your own! Post 2004---as reliable as your mother's love. Rock solid bikes.

Vibrations.....Only folks that have never riden a Buell but only seen them idling would make such an ill informed remark. One of the most vibration free motorcycles I ever owned at speed. You can "Shave" in the mirrors at 65 mph. Can't say that for any Duc, BMW or Aprilia I've ever owned (all two cylinder bikes)

Fun Factor.....Best bike on the road from 40 mph to 80 mph...Which is where 99% of all street riding takes place..........Nuff said!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts