Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what can I expect by getting BST Carbon Rims on my 999R Xerox? I have heard these wheels make a huge difference in the handling of any bike they are mounted on, due to the decreased rotational mass, gyroscopic effect, etc...

·
Registered
516 Posts
seriously they transform the dynamics of the bike so much it is freaky

i had them on a 2006 r1 ill try to explain it

the obvious thing is that the bike changes directions way easier. The measurement is called moment of inertia or moi. Sport rider did a test a while back on a bunch of wheels and the bst wheels moi was a fraction of all the other wheels in the test. It made my r1 steer like an r6 and that is not an exageration. MId corner corrections where silly easy.

it make the suspension way more compliant. Have you ever ridden in a car with big heavy chrome wheels and when you hit a bump it feels horrable. The bst's have the oposite effect. The suspension has significant less weight to controll making its job easier. So the bike feels better over every bump.

the bike accelerates faster and i would imagine stops faster but i think that is debatable since you can only stop so fast until the back wheel comes off the ground.

they are also very strong and the finish holds up very well. Mine looked new after 2 years and about 10,00 miles.

if you can afford them get them u wont be sorry

·
9,757 Posts
Here's how I like to visualize the importance of light wheels:

Have you ever used an angle grinder? Can you feel the difference between a heavy blade and a light blade when you're wielding the grinder? The heavy blade is much harder to hold in the direction you want than the light blade. Now imagine that, but with a huge motorcycle wheel.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Hey! No one even thought of mentioning the Bling factor, what the hell? All the rest of that stuff is for riders who don't ever visit starbucks unless they actually want some coffee before a ride.

+100 on all points (including my dumbass assertions:D)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Some swear it's the best mod you can do to your bike. Let alone the first thing you should do.... if you can afford it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They're really not much more than good Aluminum wheels, and the same price as magnesium. I think you get the biggest bang for the buck compared to any other performance mod, especially when you add labor costs.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
They're really not much more than good Aluminum wheels, and the same price as magnesium. I think you get the biggest bang for the buck compared to any other performance mod, especially when you add labor costs.
Um, this post confused me. I'm out...:think:

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Not cheap, but they are very worth it. If I was going to do it all over again, the BST's would be the FIRST thing I do to my bike. Had them on my Hayabusa, everything changed (not getting them for the 1198S because the BST's don't really save that much weight over the Duc. The are lighter, but not worth it to me, whereas the Busa shaved off nearly 20 pounds off both wheels!!)

You will accelerate faster, *especially* when you're already going 100 miles an hour. The bike just feels like an anchor has been cut loose.

You will brake harder and slow down quicker.

You will flick the bike WAY faster.

Your suspension will work easier and faster with them.

I will say this. I lot of people will argue that you can NOT get the same amout of performance dollar to dollar as per the BST's. $3500 worth of other stuff will not give you the same accelerating/handling/braking performance as the rims.

If you can swing it, I promise you, PROMISE, that you will be incredibly happy and won't regret it.

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Um, this post confused me. I'm out...:think:
He may have written it wrong, but his intent, I believe, was that they are close to the cost of premium Aluminum wheels, and the same price as some Magnesium wheels?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly what I wanted to hear, the wheels are being mounted tomorrow. I couldn't care less about the bling, I just want the benefits the lighter weight and less rotational mass will bring. Truth to be told, I have wanted these wheels for about 5 years now, but was not willing to spend 4 grand on them. I just found this set (that look brand new, not a scratch on 'em) for sale by a Ducati dealer that had them for a customers 999R that they were making a project bike out of, and the customer ran out of money, so the dealer sold 'em for much cheaper. I got them for basically half cost of the new ones, but they look brand new. I inspected them carefully, not a scratch or marred surface anywhere. Even though I wasn't planning on dropping another two grand on the bike, these were such a good deal I couldn't resist. Now lets hope the wife doesn't find out...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome to the DARK SIDE of CARBON FIBER...

Welcome to the DARK SIDE of CARBON FIBER... You will never regret the purchase... I HAVEN'T... and these were the second pair I have bought , the first pair was for my Hog of a Honda RC51...:D

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
gotta agree with the handling comments. I put on a pair of Magnesium wheels and the first time I tried 'em I was at the track. When into T1 and almost rode off the inside the bike turned so light and quick.
Only question I have, are Carbon wheels recommended for road use. I see one poster has 10k miles on theirs. The one pair I saw said they were not recommended for the highway. I can't remember the brand though

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wondered if CF wheels were suitable for street use but after talking to a few vendors I know they will be fine. These wheels are incredibly strong, you can actually bounce a BST wheel on the ground and it will not break. Many members of this forum and other forums (not just Ducati) have put tens of thousands of street miles (with all the potholes and bumpy roads that street riding involves) on BST CF rims with no problems. I dont use my bike for daily transportation anyway, I do weekend canyon riding mostly, probably about 120 miles per weekend, so I am not expecting any problems.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
gotta agree with the handling comments. I put on a pair of Magnesium wheels and the first time I tried 'em I was at the track. When into T1 and almost rode off the inside the bike turned so light and quick.
Only question I have, are Carbon wheels recommended for road use. I see one poster has 10k miles on theirs. The one pair I saw said they were not recommended for the highway. I can't remember the brand though

Put 22k miles on my BST's on the Hayabusa. Toured, raced, drag raced, tracked, canyon/mtn raced the HELL out of that bike. Not a burp from the rims, they were/are spotless.

I heard that there were race-only rims, but not sure.

Also, if you want, later on you can opt to install ceramic wheel bearings ( www.worldwidebearings.com ). These actually make a remarkable difference when you're at speed. Say, above 100 miles per hour. But when you just roll it around the parking lot, it feels like it weighs 100 lbs less.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
have a look at the bst website if you're worried about street use, they offer street and race use only versions. interesting to read about them meeting various standards, can't recall which ones but where manufacturers are allowed to supply new rims for each different test bst use the same set for all tests and pass no problem but if you do manage to break them they offer a super discount for replacement, i can't imagine any other manufacturer offering such a deal especially oem.

a little light reading

http://www.blackstonetek.com/

tech stuff

http://www.blackstonetek.com/technical_info.php

US distributor

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/brockracing/-strse-2438/*BST-CARBON-COMPOSITE-CONVENTIONAL/Detail

1 - 20 of 50 Posts