Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking about picking up some BST carbon wheels. Question I am wondering is, what would the forged 2012 marchessini wheels fetch these days to off set some cost ? Just hoping that it with a sale, the BST wheels might be within the budget this year

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
You'll put your eye out! :)

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
... But it would be a highly improbable event in any other material.

Shit happens when you crash, when tires go bad, or when you ride on crash damaged (Berger) wheels...

crashed OEM wheels:

Personally not worried about it- because these wheels are DOT/JWL/TUV certified and have been independantly tested whereas many other wheels have not been. Most OEM and aftermarket magnesium wheels are not even subjected to independent testing.

My SF:

My 1199:

All my bikes in the last 15 years have had either BST, OZ, Marvic or Marchesini wheels on them. In the 80's I had Astralite wheels on my CBR750.
Never a problem.

-M

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
On that busted BST wheel, I assume somebody ran into the bike from behind?

If so then the wheel did it's job with absorbing the impact.

Friend of mine with BST got hit from behind at a stop sign by a car, the wheel did take all the impact and broke but with doing so it saved his ass from taking all the force of the impact and throwing him over the handlebars :think: :think: :think:

·
Bon Vivant
10,912 Posts
No actually according to the story I found with the photo the wheel exploded at speed going down a straight with no impact to anything.

Later inspections had many theories about the cause of the failure including a a blowout which caused the bike to tumble and then break the wheel.
The origin of the wheel was traced and it had been scrutinized quite thoroughly throughout the build process and was found to have no defects.

But no conclusion as to the reason for the failure was ever found. This would not stop me from buying a set of BST wheels

·
Registered
657 Posts
To already make your wheels that much lighter than the Forged Marchesini's is a foolish and un-needed thing to me IMO. The Forged wheels that our bikes come with already (S) are already so incredibly light.

Even the super fast guys can get away with using less grade materials. Cool bling, but if it was me, I'd spend the money elsewhere. Like levers, or a slipper, or bars, or.... :eek:

And moreover, rear wheel inertia is actually a good thing. It helps a bike keep it's lean angle and therefore line.
To make it that much more non-existant to me, is actually not a good thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I started to put the BST carbon wheels on my Hyper but had a few clearance issues. Ended up going with marrch forged magnisium wheels. Had to relearn how to turn at the track due to weight loss.

·
Registered
8 Posts

If so then the wheel did it's job with absorbing the impact.

Friend of mine with BST got hit from behind at a stop sign by a car, the wheel did take all the impact and broke but with doing so it saved his ass from taking all the force of the impact and throwing him over the handlebars :think: :think: :think:
That's a really old example, but not the whole story. Yes the wheel did fail, but it was later determined that the cause of the failure was by a failed tire warmer thermostat.

I personally owned 2 sets on 2 different bikes and the performance gained is incredible. Many performance parts like brakes and slipper clutches may require an expert to really feel the difference, but as a self proclaimed novice with deep pockets, I knew right away the suspension is working better.

As to some may wonder if CF will crack and disintegrate under impact...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is there much diff between my SFS forged alloy vs the CF? is it worth it to go that route or a wast of cash .. not factoring in the bling factor
I run 4 bikes 3 have aftermarket wheels,one has BST,the other two have Dymags,one set is 5 spoke magnesium,the other 7 spoke alloy.

If anyone can tell the difference between magnesium and carbon fibre their a better man than me.I don't think there is anything between e'm

As for 'do they make any difference',it's one of the first things I change,bikes are made to a price and they'll transform a bike and your wallet,but hey they thats life.

What I will say,if your on a budget buy the front only,thats the one thats makes the difference.

As for the story about the BST wheel thats been done to death on other forums,when you start digging it's BS,you can break any wheel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Again, does anyone know the actual weights of (or difference between)the S model forged wheels and the BSTs?
With the 3 sets of wheels I've changed,normally find between Mag/BST V stock wheels the weight difference is anything between 4/6lbs on the front and give or take a bit the same on the rear.

With aftermarket alloys the weight difference is slightly less.

What I did find with Marchesini when looking at them,their are various aftermarket options,they do a very light mag version,but they are mega bucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If anyone can tell the difference between magnesium and carbon fibre their a better man than me.I don't think there is anything between e'm

As for 'do they make any difference',it's one of the first things I change,bikes are made to a price and they'll transform a bike and your wallet,but hey they thats life....
+1.

Also dropping 10lb in unsprung weight translates directly into power, even more beneficial than loosing sprung weight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts