Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I'm experiencing what I think is a unique situation in that my google searches are coming up short.

I ride primarily on the track and in the past 2-3 years have been experiencing more pain in my knuckles. I am 100% certain this is coming from the hard knuckles (carbon fiber, hard plastic, etc) they place on the outside, but the padding is packing in and eventually causing havoc on my bony knuckles.

It's to the point that after a few sessions, my middle finger and index finger knuckles are red, irritated, starting to swell, and in great pain when I put my glove back on.

So what do I do? I've bought about 8 pairs of gloves in the last few years from Alpinestars GP Techs and GP Pro, to Spidi Carbon, to Icon gloves.

Nothing works! It feels like I need to cut ALL the padding out from the inside to give me extra room so nothing is touching my knuckles.

Any glove advice is greatly appreciated!

Dana

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've had race gloves that sometimes would give me mild discomfort, but nothing to this extent.

Of the 8 pairs you've bought, have they always been the same size or have you tried going up a size? That might be an option.

Also take a look at Cortech gloves that Cycle Gear sells. Cortech makes really good 'generic' street stuff, that has been of excellent quality in my experience.

I previously had a pair of Dainese gloves that were a bit uncomfortable, and replaced them with Cortech gloves. They still have a Kevlar type hard padding on the outside for protection of your digits and knuckles; however, they are not as rigid as some of the more race oriented gloves from Dainese and the like and I find them much more comfortable.

They may be more comfortable for you, as they are for me. Good luck - sounds like a frustrating ordeal so far.

Edit: Just saw that you're in Japan. I am not sure if that would be an issue or not as far as options of different brands we get here in the US.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are your hands sweaty? Silk glove liners (inner gloves) can certainly help reducing the friction between the knuckles and the inside of the gloves.
You might also want to try larger diameter clip-ons grips, like foam, so your fist is not tight closed on them that much .

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have had similar issues with the same gloves you listed. I like "A" star gloves and Dianese stuff but my longer fingers and "high" knuckles do no work with them. I have Knox android gloves now which are working out ok, they did rub a bit when new but broken in seem ok. Held gloves have worked very well in tje the past.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Besides getting bigger gloves that just fit better (I have fingers knuckles that want Extra Large, but wrists that want Medium, so I always have unwanted extra fabric at the back of my hand), there may also be a medical side to your problem. Maybe your knuckles and bones are actually more sensative than other peoples' for a reason, like you are low on calcium or something. You could get it checked out by a MD just to make sure.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Actually my hands do get sweaty. Nothing what I would consider excessive but sweaty no less.

I normally wear a large, so I've tried to go XL and while it helps the knuckles, the fingers are always dangerously long.

It's possible there is a medical explanation behind it. The typical advice I get is to discontinue whatever it is that's causing me pain...

I haven't tried Held or correct yet, so I'll give those a try.

Thanks again!

Dana

·
Idiot Savant
1,187 Posts
On the off chance you haven't tried them, I absolutely love my Dianese gloves.

I can't find the same gloves currently for sale but they are very similar to the currently offered "joust" model. Full gauntlet, carbon knuckles etc..

While I've never used them on the track I do spend a lot of time riding the back roads in hot (HOT) Texas summers and I've never had a problem with them. In fact they are the most comfortable gloves I've ever owned (especially after the first time I got them hot and sweaty when they truly formed to my hands).

Whatever you decide to try next, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Are there any custom glove makers or leather craftsman near you? There is one guy close to me that is highly regarded as an expert glove maker. He does not use hard protection for gloves. Helimot

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I've been wearing the elkskin gauntlet style gloves that Aerostich sells, and I'm real happy with them. They're stout but flexible, and have been comfortable. They'll stretch a bit initially, and need to be on the snug side to start.

They're made here in the US, and they looked familiar. My thought is that they're essentially the same as the ones that the bull riders use, with a few mods to adapt them to motorcycling.

Aerostich Elkskin Gauntlet Gloves :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts