Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can source bronze sintered clutch plates for about $460NZD. This is compared to OEM steel plates for $529NZD.

Does anyone have any experience with the sintered plates?

Any thoughts on wear between the plates and the basket (steel on bronze and aluminium on bronze)?

My priority wear rate as opposed to weight reduction.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I can source bronze sintered clutch plates for about $460NZD. This is compared to OEM steel plates for $529NZD.

Does anyone have any experience with the sintered plates?

Any thoughts on wear between the plates and the basket (steel on bronze and aluminium on bronze)?

My priority wear rate as opposed to weight reduction.

IMHO Aluminum plates are best.
At end of the day its easy to change the friction plates out as opposed to a basket or hub...

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I use the sintered plates in my 916, work better than the old OEM black material?; plates last longer and handle power better, they are slightly 'grabbier' in take-up but you soon get used to that and even with only four springs I get no slippage and a smooth take-up with no 'Donkey braying'.

They are also thinner so you get an extra friction plate in the stack.

Less dust out of open cover too...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if anyone at all had used them. Obviously not a common item.

Does anyone out there have some theories about wear rates with a steel basket? I've seen a few threads saying don't mix aluminium plates with steel baskets and vice versa as the aluminium will wear at a faster rate. What about bronze vs steel or bronze vs Ali?

regards,
Michael.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I use them in my 999R with an aluminum basket, but use aluminum plates in my SS and ST2. I think they wear about the same.

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have tried the bronze plates & wouldnt bother again , they probably are better but not worth the extra cash . As far as mixing ali with bronze or steel , only matters if you got ali basket , then you need ali plates or you'll wear out your basket , steel & bronze are essentially the same just diff friction material , both are on a steel plate.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have heard that....

A hard and a soft metal will wear less against each other than two hard metals.

...And a hard and soft metal will also wear less against each other than too soft metals.

This is supposedly why door hinges used to use steel pins and brass brackets.

Of course this could be classic folk lore...any real engineers out there?

·
Registered
638 Posts
In comparison of steel vs aluminum vs bronze etc..... what are the pros and cons of each material type? I have not yet had a chance to get into this discussion. My imediate assumption is that the OEM steel plates grab fine, last longer, but there is a lot of moving mass. Aluminum would shed weight at the cost of longevity due to the nature of it being softer and easier to eat up over time. What about the bronze? I'd also assume you sure wouldn't wanna wheelie on an aluminum set of plates, lol!!!!

Without any assumptions or opinions - Do we have any available examples of the pros and cons, as well as pictures of wear and tear, etc?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts