Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here so please bare with me. I am currently in Iraq and will be returning to the states shortly. I have restored a couple of motorcycles and cars, Last ducati I restored was about 9 years ago and it was a Mountaineer. When I return I would like to treat myself to a nice ducati to restore, I have the possibility to purchase two ducati's. The first one is a 60 bronco 125 and the second one is a 69 monza 160 jr. They both share similarities, they both are in full stock condition,they do not run,have rust,and from what I can see are very willing to be restored...Which one would you restore and Why? I want to restore one and ride it around the city. I have also heard alot of people saying things like "That bike is not worth restoring, it's not worth much$" I feel that if you can bring something back to life and enjoy it, it shouldnt matter how much it's worth. Thank you

·
Registered
281 Posts
This 'il be difficult. It's a case of the lesser of two evils.
Let me digress:
The Bronco is probably the rarer of the two but is less sophisticated and clearly less powerful. The late Monza Jr. claims the same front end and wheels but with a more desirable OHC beveldrive motor. The down side to the Monza Jr. is it's less desirable "square" design, from the headlight to the fenders.

Broncos and earlier push rod OHV-powered singles are making somewhat of a resurgence if only in the backwaters of Ducatistica (I know as I have four ranging from a '55 98S to a '66 125 Bronco).

Parts availability for each may be on a par what with similar steering and wheelage. Domiracer in Cinci has some in NOS for each while eBay probably carries more for the Monza.

If your endgame is to have a streetable ride that will keep up with arterial traffic in an urban environment, Monza would be a better choice.

Investment. If you keep the project authentic, it may be more beneficial (read valuable) by lassoing the Bronco.

It's really a toss up, but if you go Bronco, check out [email protected], a great forum/group for push (and pull) rod Ducatis

And thank you for your service!

Steve Hatfield
A-6 Intruders
LCDR, USN (ret)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply Sir, I thought that since the Monza was a more sporty bike that it would attract more attencion. Looking at both bikes the bronco looks alot more circular and refined. Give me a couple of weeks and I will send photos of her.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd say your call, both are gem's, I like my bronco's becuase ithey sound like a sewing machine's when running very nice, but in "MY" opinion the motor is not as nice to look at as the Monza, the Monza is more mechanical sounding. I think SHAT is right about the push rods coming back though. It's your call, post pictures when you get the chance and I thank you for serving our country....

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
FWIW the 160 engine is considered by some to be one of the best looking single cylinder Duc engines... I like it a lot but then I'm partial as I'm knee deep in a 160 project myself right now.

I'd agree with the others though, your choice, they both have pros/cons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
they both certainly have their appeal, and they are both quite different from other bikes on the road. I believe the monza would give you far greater flexibility when it comes to personalization, which i believe enhances ones enjoyment of their bike.

that said, you say you wish to ride it on the street in which case you may wish to choose the bike that would be easiest to license.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well The Bronco was the winner and My ex-wife picked it up for me, She will be sending me some pics... I will defenetly share the pictures with you fellas. I'm still interested on the Monza and will persue the purchase as well.. You could never have enough Ducati's.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
D'oh! I forgot to mention, you can never have just one Ducati single... :p

Good luck with the project, it should be fun.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for my info, Can anyone tell me the top speed for the Bronco and the Monza jr? I know its gotta be somewere in the 45mph zone....I think

I hope

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Can someone shed some light on this color scheme? Is the frame Bronze? Or is it red? or black? any other comments are greatly welcomed. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The gold and maroon are likely correct but I'd guess the tank he has looked more like this:

P.S. I have a lot of pics of this tank if you want to copy the graphics on yours. I'd bet huge money it was the original paint... I really like the gold and maroon, in fact I plan on going with that if I build another single.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it's a maroon color not a red ducati color? I have seen several maroon color ducs but this one looks red to me, unless the sun baked it. I have seen alot of broncos but this one has the word bronco and not the prancing horse, it also has the horn behind the engine and not forward of it. Last question, is the proper emblem for the gas tank the ducati meccanica with or without bolognia? It's a 1960 and domirace carries both. here's are more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
These photos are of a 85 Bronco not a 125. Note the small diameter flywheel cover. More rare than a 125 or a 98 Bronco. Good find!

Steve
So it's a maroon color not a red ducati color? I have seen several maroon color ducs but this one looks red to me, unless the sun baked it. I have seen alot of broncos but this one has the word bronco and not the prancing horse, it also has the horn behind the engine and not forward of it. Last question, is the proper emblem for the gas tank the ducati meccanica with or without bolognia? It's a 1960 and domirace carries both. here's are more pics

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Desmodog, Can you post pics of the tank that you were referring too? Thanks for the thumbs up on the find. If anyone has one like this please send me the link for I would like to restore it to it's original luster. I will place more pics

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shat, you were absolutly correct about it being an 85cc. I had them check the black tag and sure enought 85cc. That provides several issues, On one hand I can't go very fast because it's only an 85cc motor and on the other It is a bit more rare. I checked NADA and they don't have it listed. I cant wait to get back and start working on it. My 10 year old daughter said she would help me so hopefully we can have father daughter time.. What better thing in this world that sharing father daughter time while restoring a 50 year old Ducati:)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here are two pictures, your comments would be appriciated.
Both photos add to the validity that this is quite an original bike. The early round taillight and number plate holder (note that it has been rather carefully modified with a flat sheet metal plate inserted within the raised border to allow use of an American tag and not add any additional holes to the original mounting); and what looks like a very early Veglia speedo, which may well be correct.

I believe Berliner didn't start importing these until late 1958 or early 1959. Here's a recent statement from a friend of mine and a well-respected Ducati researcher:

"The first reference that I have found to a pushrod bike for the U.S. market
appears in a Berliner advertisement in the March 1959 issue of "Motorcyclist"
magazine: "NEW BRONCO 85 cc - OHV, 4.8 HP, 50 mph top, 3 speeds, footshift, permanent mag. ignition, swing-arm rear suspension with hydraulic shocks, telescopic fork, 17" chrome-plated wheels, large brakes, 35W lighting system, stop/parking light, standard equipment. Suggested retail: F.O.B. N.Y. $299" "

Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shat, Thanks for your insight. I will join the forum and keep you and the forum posted to whatever updates I have. I will beggin this weekend and cant wait.. Oh any idea on the fuel tank cap? Is it original or do you think it should have the chrome one? I will post more pics as soon as I get them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts