Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Broken Tacho or speedo wanted

924 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mkiii850 
#1 ·
Hi Chaps,

I've managed to smash the glass (plastic) of my Tacho. Don't ask how!

I've taken it apart with the intention of fixing it, but the lens is moulded into the bevel so can't.

Hate to buy a new gauge just because of this, so does anyone in the UK have a knackered Tacho or speedo, as I think they're the same dia' that they are willing to pass on, will pay postage.

Would also consider another Tacho, if its the St4s one and also the small LCD dispay as the far right on mine is shot and I can't tell what time it is, which is amazingly irritating!

Thanks chaps.

Tim

#2 ·
Are you sure the LCD is toast? They are not sealed well. Other folks and I have been able to separate the case, clean up the board, dry it out well, and seal it up. I found a lot of corrosion around the display to circuit board connection that was causing a wonky display.

I sealed every seam with krazy glue (cyanoacrylate). I even glued the little rubber spring/grommet around to the push button to the shaft, then to the case and also both sides of the display window. It has been perfectly functional since.

You do have to pry the case apart, but Duc did not use much glue and it was of a weak nature.

Have a good one.

#3 ·
Hi Chaps,

I've managed to smash the glass (plastic) of my Tacho. Don't ask how!
Come on now Tim, Knowing how would be half the fun now wouldn't it?

Anyway; I had some speedo problems with my 02 ST4s and bought one from E-Bay as a parts donor. I had to cut the case in half with a jewelers saw in order to get the speedo out of the moulded case.
I think you would have to do the same to install your old unit into the new one.
Not sure if the tach would work, different holes for mounting and the reset knob and all that!
Even after you cut it open the "glass" is still bonded to the rest of the unit and won't come out.
I'm located on a different continent so can't really help with the donor parts.
Ride On
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.