Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to do, what to do...

A mistake on my part resulted in shearing off all the spring posts...Eh, don't ask. So a search for clutch drums brought up only three options (not counting slipper clutches), OEM, SSR and NGR. Comparing costs and features, The NGR drum has billet 7075 aluminum with steel replaceable spring posts for not much more than OEM cost seems like a no brainer. Until I tried to source one.

The local vendor had nothing in stock and only a best guess delivery time of a couple of weeks. I thought I'd be going OEM then. Well, one more search on good old Ducati.ms pinged a thread discussing this very product and a quick PM to fellow member wobblyas out of FastBikeGear.co.nz who got me the drum in just six days from New Zealand and probably sooner if not for the weekend in between! On top of that, the overall cost was a nice surprise with how competitive it was with the local price. It beat it! Thanks Liam (wobblyas)!

The part looks great and it came with instructions too which was something of a surprise. No offense to my Italian bretheren but small production italian parts with english instructions is not what I typically see.

I know what I'm doing this weekend...:D

·
Registered
421 Posts
What to do, what to do...
The part looks great and it came with instructions too which was something of a surprise. No offense to my Italian bretheren but small production italian parts with english instructions is not what I typically see.

I know what I'm doing this weekend...:D
Eric, many thanks for the positive feed back on our service. I know what you mean about Italian Instructions. One of the first things I did when we began selling NGR product was write installation instructions for all of their products. They now use the detailed instructions we have written for their products when exporting to other English speaking countries.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, so I've you to thank for that as well. Ha ha.

Maybe you can make a suggestion about the hub to NGR. I've read that the steel posts are supposed to be replaceable? Might not be easy to replace should they bend. How would you get them out? I would make the underside of the post either hex key friendly or at least slotted. That is, if they're meant to be replaceable...

Not that I plan on shearing or bending any more posts if I can help it.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh, is all six unusual? If the spring posts are blocked from spinning while the clutch is still moving...

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Minor update, the drum went on with no problems. Much quicker than I thought since all I was switching was the drum, basket was within spec as well as my clutch pack. Felt no negative impressions from a quick test ride, seemed to crank over quicker with the lighter drum.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Huh, is all six unusual? If the spring posts are blocked from spinning while the clutch is still moving...
One or two can get smacked off if the bike is dropped - to smash all six off takes some doing!

What metal object/body part did you do this with?? :D

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, ok just picture a domino effect. One post brought down all the rest when it was spinning. I have that starter motor right? Well, imagine it still trying to spin when there's a blockage at the posts....there you go. At least I know my bike better now...first time I've messed with the clutch and now my knowlege base has expanded.

·
Registered
954 Posts
LOL, ok just picture a domino effect. One post brought down all the rest when it was spinning. I have that starter motor right? Well, imagine it still trying to spin when there's a blockage at the posts....there you go. At least I know my bike better now...first time I've messed with the clutch and now my knowlege base has expanded.

Cryptic....

So.

How did you smash the first post off? :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Costs

Out of curiousity, how much did the drum cost? I just broke one off. I was removing the flywheel nut, and first tried to use a large screwdriver inserted into the clutch basket to hold the motor from turning. "BOINK" very quicky sheared one post off.

Now I need a new drum. I found some decent ones on Ebay for $109.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts