Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well things were just going too well in my Ducati world to last! Saturday I brought my '93 in to have my suspension guy tweak it for me. Just as we started the whole measuring, get on/get off routine, I noticed a little oil behind the vertical cylinder. In the span of a half-hour there was more oil, and when I checked the head bolts one of them just pulled right out. I guess it let go sometime in the morning on my ride to his shop. He has a full machine shop and performance engine tuning business with dyno, etc, so I know this isn't a big deal, and at least it happened there and saved me a trip rather than a hundred miles from home.

I was thinking about doing high-comp pistons while everything is apart, but the bike is plenty fast for what it is, and I've got other bikes to satisfy my need for speed, so I think I'm just going replace all the head studs and be done with it.

I know Nichols Engineering makes replacement studs, and CA-Cycleworks also has the AP studs, and of course there are the newer style Ducati OEM studs. The Nichols studs are $240 a set, vs. $99 for the AP studs, and I haven't priced the Ducati replacements, but I assume they're probably pretty close to the AP's. For a bike running stock compression, will any of these be perfectly adequate? I don't mind spending more if there's good reason to, but I hate to throw it away.

If the bike ran very strong before the failure, and didn't burn any oil, is there any reason to proactively do anything with the valve guides?

What is the typical labor cost to remove the motor and change the studs on both cylinder?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just installed a set of AP studs from CA Cycleworks (They weren't broken, but I was in there replacing pistons already so I figured it was a good investment). They look a lot beefier than the old OEM's. I couldn't tell you if they are any less adequate than the Nichol's but they look well suited for their intended purpose.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just installed a set of AP studs from CA Cycleworks (They weren't broken, but I was in there replacing pistons already so I figured it was a good investment). They look a lot beefier than the old OEM's. I couldn't tell you if they are any less adequate than the Nichol's but they look well suited for their intended purpose.
Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it. Any real issues you run into?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did it myself. It was incredibly easy. I stacked a couple of nuts together to get the stud out and put the new one in, no sweat.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I did it myself. It was incredibly easy. I stacked a couple of nuts together to get the stud out and put the new one in, no sweat.
Interesting, so yours broke right near the top then, at the nut? I've not had the failure but somehow I always thought they broke closer to the cases or even inside the cases.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had my nuts for a long time and I've grown pretty attached to them. They were in decent shape so I just decided to hold onto them. I twisted the studs and they came right out without any lubrication. I put a little bearing grease on them to ease in reinsertion.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Interesting, so yours broke right near the top then, at the nut? I've not had the failure but somehow I always thought they broke closer to the cases or even inside the cases.
i've seen a few break at case level, and even seen them break when trying to remove the unbroken ones. they can be a real bastard to get out. if they came out that easy it's a good day. last time i did some i had to heat the cases a lot.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was so distraught about the head studs on the '93 that I bought a pearl white '09 Multistrada S to cheer myself up yesterday :)

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Well I had the same thing happen last year and now I have a fire breathing 93 900ss!!! As soon as it happened I knew what it was. Went right to Mr Ferracci and the next thing you know I have 90hp and a super lightweight wallet!!!! All over a broken cylinder stud. Heres what I did;
944 kit
ST2 cams
Ti Rods
Oversize Valves
Ported Head.
Rejetted Stock Carbs (I know, I know....Flatslides are next!)
Odyssey Battery
Oversize Battery Cables
I also added;
Nichols Engine mount Bolts
Hammer Fork Stabilizer
Race Tech Gold Valves Front and rear plus respring
SpeedyMoto tapered steering head bearings.

All over a broken cylinder stud!!!!!! I have a problem!!! LOL!!!!

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got good news today! The technician working on my bike got to it earlier than expected, and all of the studs came out with no problem! I'm replacing the tensioners while things are open, and new gaskets, o-rings, and changing the belts. With any luck I might have it back by next weekend, and I'll have my Marvic Superlight wheels refinished, restored, and with fresh rubber for the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts