Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this never happens to you,

Finally came round to open the bike and replace a suspected broken starter motor. Imagine my surprise when I took the left casing cover off and found this....

The bike was running fine on the day it gave up the ghost. From when I started to get weird speedo readings until I pulled over to check what was going on was a good 10 miles. When I pulled over, the bike refused to start again. I really can not imagine why that was by looking at the pictures :eek:

I Emailed Ducati Italy to show them this strange mechanical failure, hopefully they will be nice and kind enough to pass on a replacement 999R crankshaft out of the goodness of their hearts. rest of the engine internals so far looks OK, holding thumbs but all of the bearings will need replacing due to the fragments that did travel around the casing.

SF

Attachments

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Fatigue in my opinion. You can see the beach marks of the crack growth. Then, when residual strength was insufficient, viola - fracture.

Caused for sure from a poor finish on the machining, a notch or some other stress concentrating feature in the geometry. If Ducati give you greif, point this out to them.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bike has had a lowside onto its right before, but luckily I was underneath the bike when it happened so not much damage:)

So far in the disassembling it all looks good. If time allows I will be splitting the cases tomorrow. Just not sure how to do it because the normal procedure will not work.

SF

·
Registered
729 Posts
Fatigue in my opinion. You can see the beach marks of the crack growth. Then, when residual strength was insufficient, viola - fracture.

Caused for sure from a poor finish on the machining, a notch or some other stress concentrating feature in the geometry. If Ducati give you greif, point this out to them.
++1 - classic.. ask any mechanical engineer.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
I HOPE that Ducati comes to the rescue ... but I wouldn't bank on it. It's such an "old design" that they may not even want to try and reverse engineer the failure.

All that said (and I'm sorry for the negativity) I see this as the perfect opportunity to contact NCR or Ferraci and see if they have a crank for your bike. YOWZA!!! Now THAT would kick ass.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Don't say anything about that lowside on the right side. In fact, I would delete that reference in this thread, and if you want, I'll delete this also. Don't cop to nothin'.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Don't say anything about that lowside on the right side. In fact, I would delete that reference in this thread, and if you want, I'll delete this also. Don't cop to nothin'.
Yup, no sense being straight about it................:rolleyes:

·
Registered
277 Posts
DAMN !!!! WTF !!!!

They must have made that shaft when they did my transmission !!!!

What kind of issues do you foresee with splitting the cases ?!?! As long as you can get everything cleared away from that side of the engine and the shaft will slide through the bearing I dont see a problem.

Migrane ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts