Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks: On one of the MS facebook forums, a Columbian Enduro owner, part way through a south/north American tour, has discovered a crack on his right side engine casing. The casing frame mount tube between the cylinders has a long crack running along the top. It's been inspected by a Ducati dealership in Florida and Ducati are not covering this under warranty. The poor guy is stuck many miles from home with a broken engine casing frame mount. I Googled this problem and found a few similar stories/pictures with other Ducatis but not an Enduro. This frame mount location uses a "special screw", a stud threaded at both ends and two "special nuts", one at each end. The special nuts are elongated and threaded on the outside to accept the Touratech crash bar bolts. I don't think the Touratech kit comes with more "special" nuts but do not know this for sure. The Columbian bike has the Touratech bars.

As the engine is a stressed member of the frame, it's my guess that the engine mount was not correctly torqued (60Nm) resulting in the engine flexing at this critical frame joint and stressing the casing hole resulting in the crack. I have the same bike and will be checking this out at the weekend when I get home from travels. Is it possible that during installation/removal/adjustment of the new Touratech cash bars, the special screw(s) ended up with insufficient torque? In theory, as long as the Touratech bolt was torqued at 60Nm then all should be OK. Anyhow, if you have an Enduro with Touratech bars like mine, it is a good idea to double check the engine mount torques; I will be re-torquing all of mine.

Also, I found a YouTube video showing the installation of the Touratech bars. It shows that there are plastic washers between the bars and the frame at the point mentioned above. My bars do not have these plastic washers and they were installed by a dealer. Any comments? I've searched for instructions and can't find them. Ducati (Italy) called me y phone this morning in response to a query made last night on the Ducati website (amazingly quick service) but I was informed that I would have to go to a Ducati dealer to get Touratech installation instructions.
engine mount.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Always been that way, if you do not keep the motor held tight the motor moves on the bolts and you crack the cases. Improperly installing the touratec mounts or using materials that do not hold torque are the issue. As always pay attention to important fasteners and check motor mount torque every service. After installing aftermarket parts check torque after a few hundred miles and then 1000 miles allowing for break in. At the point you are not tightening them any more revert to doing it every service. If it is always needing to be tightened stop and find out why.

I do not blame Ducati for not covering it, Owner should talk to who ever installed it and touratech. Even then as I mentioned above, bolts do often get loose with time and use so until you have found them to be tight with each check you never leave them alone.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Definitely a washer there (at least on the standard Multi), and iirc you're right the nut holding on the bar is different from what's holding the motor.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the Enduro there is also a wishbone frame hanging from the same mount that supports the skid plate down below; a
lot going on at one engine mount. I get duvet's points but how many Ducati owners do their own maintenance? (I can but my bike is only just over 1000kms old). Checking engine mounting bolt torques is not on the "owner's" list of maintenance activities. It is on the dealer list at every 15k km but how many dealers actually do this? If an owner can prove that a bike has been taken to a dealer every 15k km for routine service then how can Ducati not accept this type of failure as a warranty issue. The more I Google it, the more I find similar failures.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the Enduro there is also a wishbone frame hanging from the same mount that supports the skid plate down below; a
lot going on at one engine mount. I get duvet's points but how many Ducati owners do their own maintenance? (I can but my bike is only just over 1000kms old). Checking engine mounting bolt torques is not on the "owner's" list of maintenance activities. It is on the dealer list at every 15k km but how many dealers actually do this? If an owner can prove that a bike has been taken to a dealer every 15k km for routine service then how can Ducati not accept this type of failure as a warranty issue. The more I Google it, the more I find similar failures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts