Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The front engine mount in the case had the sides broken... I have no idea how, but the engine was removed and the missing areas of the mount were reconstructed via TIG.

Bike is a 2008 1100 Hypermotard.

If this happens to you, you will need to remove the engine from the bike.

Engine was not dismantled. This repair was performed on the engine as a whole - no need to split the cases in this instance.

Was about a 4 day job.

Engine was installed in bike and off we went...

Didn't take anymore pictures.

2 Pictures showing cracked/missing areas.
4 Pictures showing the repair.

Attachments

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,260 Posts
The front engine mount in the case had the sides broken... I have no idea how...
Most likely from loose engine mount bolts. This has been known to happen on the ST series of bikes on occasion.

It's always a good idea to check the bolt torque annually.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
Common on all Ducati's that have loose motor mount bolts, the engine is part of the frame (stressed member) so if it is loose the motor mount moving in the engine will often crack the cases. The good news is your repair should be 100% fine if done right, I have had cases much worse than yours repaired and they have had a normal life afterwards.

On some of the newer bikes such as a 2008 hyper this was the time when Ducati lowered the cost of the first services, this was because the requirements were lessened and one of them was tightening the motor mounts (all bolts you could get at really) . we used to still do the work but had to let customers know there were different levels of service and Ducati's new level did not include much more than an oil change. I too have a customer now that had her 1100 hyper break a engine mount shortly after she bought it used.

Check those motor mount bolts and you should be fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I noticed it, it was a huge letdown - stressed member or not. Out of all the bikes I've ever owned, out of all the wrecks, out of all the off-roading I've done with street bikes, I have never managed to break engine mounts. Even managed a head-on with a car on my Alazzurra and didn't brake the mounts - broke the rest of the bike though. I'll add this to the list of thing to check from now on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts