Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a nuts and bolts check on the ST2.

Had a bit of a shock when I took the rear frame plug out - the engine mounting bolt nut was loose in the frame. Worse than that it wasn't the nut which had come off but the bolt that had broken.

Would advise its worth checking your bolts.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
This is a known problem with early ST models. I believe upgraded bolts are available. Some members are certain know where to find them.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,464 Posts
A good reminder to everyone to do this annually. Check your engine cases for cracks where the bolt goes through, too.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Good catch!

Speedymoto sells a stainless bolt and Bellissimoto (took over TPO Parts) has a Ti version.

TPO only comes in 12mm. Pre-2001 uses 10mm.

I bought the bolt from TPO back when they were in business, as it was supposed to fit my ST2. The unprinted caveat was *if* I drilled the case to 12mm. TPO suggested this was an easy job and even offered to send me a bit to use. But... knowing my skills, I declined to drill my case.

Would be a nice upgrade to go from 10mm to 12mm if you have the skills and intestinal fortitude.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm with you on the drilling. Will willingly have a go at most things but not drilling the cases.

Have ordered a pair of high tensile 8.8 zinc plated bolts 10mm x 240mm.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm with you on the drilling. Will willingly have a go at most things but not drilling the cases.

Have ordered a pair of high tensile 8.8 zinc plated bolts 10mm x 240mm.
I drilled my case to 12 mm on my ST4 after the bolt broke. Also had a crack in the case and had it welded up many years ago. No problems.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Wow, those Ti bolts seem very reasonable! Good find!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Titanium bolts are weaker than grade 5 though. Stainless are slightly stronger and grade 8 steel a lot stronger.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Well those TI bolts will be too long anyway. I talked to Titan Classics and the threads are only down to 230mm which is too long. Getting the bolt threaded further is a no-go.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I reckon it would be better to use grade 8 high tensile steel bolt. The only advantage with titanium is weight and for the few grams saved I'd rather have a much stronger and cheaper bolt.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I reckon it would be better to use grade 8 high tensile steel bolt. The only advantage with titanium is weight and for the few grams saved I'd rather have a much stronger and cheaper bolt.
That is the route I'm going. fitting them today. Doing a 2500 mile trip to Italy and back soon so that should be a good test (will take the old unbroken bolt as a spare, just in case but not really expecting any issues).

derky

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the heads up derky944! I've been going through my recently acquired ST4 with regular maintenance items but havent checked the motor mounts. Just took a looksy, and sure enough, the rear bolt is broken...grrrrrrr :surprise: Looks like I will be ordering up a set asap, where did you order yours from?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
The TPO bolts are M12. I contacted them a long time ago and they suggested that I drill out the engine case while on the bike to 12mm and I concluded they were insane. Id love to go Ti because its freaking TITANIUM the 9th most abundant element in the Earth's crust! Funny thing RLB, I lived in Meeker until last year. Should have hooked up and ridden Douglas Pass even though pavement is a bit rough!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the heads up derky944! I've been going through my recently acquired ST4 with regular maintenance items but havent checked the motor mounts. Just took a looksy, and sure enough, the rear bolt is broken...grrrrrrr :surprise: Looks like I will be ordering up a set asap, where did you order yours from?
Glad to help.

Mine may be different to yours. Early ST2 is M10 - yours might be M12 (not sure).

The first bolts I ordered were 8.8 hardened but the threads are course so I'm trying again(waiting for them to arrive) -

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Engine-Mou...var=530906838262&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

If that doesn't work there is a titanium option -

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-TITANIUM-M10x140mm-bolt-37gm-Grade-5-RGV-VJ23/251424213639?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=550343395429&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649[/url]

derky

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks again Derky, some reason I had 240 mm in my brain (mentioned in another reply) so I've been scouring the interwebs for a M10-1.50 X 240mm, but to no avail. After seeing your link, and the much shorter bolts, I figured I should do the common sense thing and pull mine out and measure the thing. Turns out it is 10 mm (as previously mentioned), and length is 220 mm from bolt shoulder to end of threads. Did another search for a 220 mm bolt and all sorts of options come up. I'll be making a visit to our local Fastners Inc tomorrow and see what I can get through them.

Speedysst, Meeker is fairly close, and there are certainly some fantastic roads out here in Western Co! And yeah, I think Douglas is in a constant state of "rough" :laugh:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again Derky, some reason I had 240 mm in my brain (mentioned in another reply) so I've been scouring the interwebs for a M10-1.50 X 240mm, but to no avail. After seeing your link, and the much shorter bolts, I figured I should do the common sense thing and pull mine out and measure the thing. Turns out it is 10 mm (as previously mentioned), and length is 220 mm from bolt shoulder to end of threads. Did another search for a 220 mm bolt and all sorts of options come up. I'll be making a visit to our local Fastners Inc tomorrow and see what I can get through them.

Speedysst, Meeker is fairly close, and there are certainly some fantastic roads out here in Western Co! And yeah, I think Douglas is in a constant state of "rough" :laugh:
Sh*t! you are right. Iv'e ordered the wrong size - can't read my own writing. Back to the drawing board doh!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts