Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a camping trip recently. Broke the key on one of the fill ups. Slid the key into the gas filled and when I started twisting to unlock, it gave way in my hands. Had to use pliers to remove the key and for all subsequent fills after. Kinda a pain. Planning on Ducati warranty dealing with this.. lets hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
That's a bummer.

I don't think you'll have any issues getting that replaced under warranty.

I'd be curious to know what has to be replaced? Can they just get the key cut or do they have to replaced all the other components that the key operates, seat lock, gap cap, paniers.

·
Registered
468 Posts
That happened to me on my first day of ownership, and I had no problem getting it replaced under warranty.

Sadly, right after I got the new one, I moved the bike with the key still in the left hand bag. I snagged the key with my pant leg and broke that one too. It's a crappy, weak design. Where the blank goes in that socket, it's not only less wide, it's thinner as well. Just no metal left.

My local locksmith said he sees that all the time as that design is used a bunch of places. He said he can make the stub that fits into the socket on the fob. I made my own from a non-chip spare I had made by eyeballing it and strategic application of a Dremel, so I'm covered for now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same thing happened to me! Key snapped off right at the fob. Under warranty, dealer covered w/o a problem. Now I have an extra fob. I'm using the red spare key for now, it seems a bit more heavy duty...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts