Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the saga of Scruffy the 749 continues.

I was bleeding the fluids today and the clutch bleeder snapped off. :(

I've removed the bottom half that was screwed into the banjo bolt and the banjo bolt is still good. I'm going down to the local shop to pick up a replacement bleeder.

I want to know if there's anything I need to do other than put in the new one and bleed the system normally. Do I have to bench bleed anything? Thanks.

·
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn. Local place (non-Ducati) didn't have anything that matched. Guess it's mail order and wait.

·
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To hell with it. I just ordered full sets of Speed Bleeders for both bikes. Not sure if the Evoluzione slave uses the same size as stock, but I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
One of the best ways to force the fluid into a dry system is from the bottom - up. Like start at the slave. Force fluid in thru that bleeder (you'll prolly need a normal bleeder, and NOT a speed bleeder, 'cuz of the check-valve!).

You kinda NEED fluid in a system, before you can bleed conventionally. Pumping the master when there's a ton of air in there just isn't great. The system wants to see some pressure at that point, and then you "crack the bleeder". But with too much air to begin with, it just doesn't work as great.

So back-bleeding gets much fluid into the system, then U can try conventional bleeding.

·
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Stick. When the bleeder broke, I had some fluid spillage, which of course I had to clean up, but I put an automotive vacuum hose plug in the banjo to keep it from leaking out anymore. There's still plenty of fluid left in the system to start bleeding it with.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I second what stick said.
I use a large syringe minus the needle of course. Attach a tight fitting hose to syringe and suck fluid from reservoir then attach hose to bleeder, crack open and force fluid through backwards.
Air naturally wants to rise to the top so bleeding this way is far more effective.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Thx, Turbo. As I've said in the past, "Think like a bubble."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts