Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've managed to break it,ran it up the quarter mile twice ,sang its heart out pulled 12.6 then 12.3 third run a horrible noise a bit louder than valve prob so im thinking bottom end or conrod ,but any way its broken.i need to rebuild it ,My question is has anyone been thru this ,rough price to do the lot bottom to top.cheers pete w,

·
7,733 Posts
I've managed to break it,ran it up the quarter mile twice ,sang its heart out pulled 12.6 then 12.3 third run a horrible noise a bit louder than valve prob so im thinking bottom end or conrod ,but any way its broken.i need to rebuild it ,My question is has anyone been thru this ,rough price to do the lot bottom to top.cheers pete w,

Sorry to hear about that. :( You may find it's less money to part the bike out and buy another one than to rebuild. If you're doing the work yourself, have a shop manual and have some past experience in rebuilding engines then it may be affordable. I can't think of any threads wherein the poster has rebuilt a desmotre, but someone may chime in. Good luck.

·
Still needs a life.
12,599 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. :( You may find it's less money to part the bike out and buy another one than to rebuild. If you're doing the work yourself, have a shop manual and have some past experience in rebuilding engines then it may be affordable. I can't think of any threads wherein the poster has rebuilt a desmotre, but someone may chime in. Good luck.
Mark Turbo had his 02-ST4s rebuilt by Motocoursa in Portland, Oregon. Maybe Mark has some incite as to costs, etc.

·
Registered
442 Posts
You need to identify the source of the sound before getting to far ahead of yourself. It could be something simple, such as a loose flywheel or something else that is reparable. You shouldn't think the worst just because you went down the dragstrip. If there is a problem, it was going to surface anyway!

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
i'm sorry to hear about your broken ST-3. i hope it's something "less than fatal." please give an update when you find out what happened.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hopefully it's not as serious as it sounds. This has got me wondering as to which engines would easily bolt into that frame.:think: If you do have to swap out the motor, I'm not sure, but I'd bet anything from the ST or monster S4 lines would fit. Of course, the electronics might be another issue.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
No sense in screwing around with another 3 valve motor - here's your chance for the ultimate in sport touring....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ducati-1198-s-engine-motor-very-low-miles-1098-848_W0QQitemZ110445244754QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b70cb152

I'll bet that you could make a pretzel out of that ST3 frame in no time.
I wonder how much work would be involved in a conversion like that. I'm pretty sure there would be clearance issues with the heads. The radiator would need to be bigger and you'd probably need to use the sssa from a S4Rx. It would probably be more effective to make a hybrid S4Rx frame with ST bits welded on.

My dealer built a SF with a 1198 (1098R) motor, but at least it was more or less plug and play.

But, an 1198 ST is pretty attractive.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,073 Posts
Send Jackflash a PM. You'll be shocked at what it cost for a total rebuild!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts