Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone switched to a brighter/ whiter head light bulb? I have been thinking of doing the switch since I have done so on every other vehicle I have owned. I am not talking about the blue tint bulbs but the bright white bulbs like the true Osram bulb also know as the copied Sylvania silverstars. I like the Osram bulbs that I use in my car and might switch the Hypers bulb to see if there is any improvement.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
I'm running the second best from Sylvania, big improvement, didn't melt the wires.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am running the Piaa Super Plasma GTX and have been very happy with it, though even with a brighter bulb the low beam seems to be pointing too low and the high beam too high.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I installed the PIAA super while bulb a couple of weeks ago and love it so far. I think that if I aimed it there would be a large inprovement also

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I don't like the aim of the high beam, but the low is OK. The bulbs are definitely weak. I run Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in my truck and they are great. The knock on them is that the bulb life is a little short for the $, I agree, but like the results.

Out!

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
I took a look at the Sylvania H4 swap option, but was rather scared off by all the posters on amazon. I know it is "selection bias", and anecdotal, but the majority of the posts were bemoaning the short life of the bulb (3-5 months).

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have had my Piaa GTX over a year and it is still going and I ride rather rough roads. The GTX is about $45.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have heard good things about the S. Silverstars and I heard that the PIAA's don't last as long. I guess every situation is different but the SS seem to be less expensive to replace...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I put four Ultras in my truck about 2 years ago. I had one go about 18 months in and another about 2 years. They were both the low beams, which obviously run more often. I run off road hard on occasion, but most of the miles are highway.

Out!

·
Registered
208 Posts
h7?

the hyper takes the H7, correct?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hasn't anyone done installed an HID kit? I pu tone in my monster and it was one of the best mods i did. Although it was only low beam, that was all i ever needed with the HID installed. It was brighter than the high beam! The kit I bought was only $80 and included a super slim ballast. The extra wires were a little tough to fit into the monster headlight bucket, but once in it was great! I would love to do this on the hyper, but not sure how much space is available to do so.

Hopefully someone has already done this and can provide some insight.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Hasn't anyone done installed an HID kit? I pu tone in my monster and it was one of the best mods i did. Although it was only low beam, that was all i ever needed with the HID installed. It was brighter than the high beam! The kit I bought was only $80 and included a super slim ballast. The extra wires were a little tough to fit into the monster headlight bucket, but once in it was great! I would love to do this on the hyper, but not sure how much space is available to do so.

Hopefully someone has already done this and can provide some insight.
Do a search, someone did and HID kit some time ago. It looks great, but some are concerned about it not being DOT legal. I had a set in my Rhino and they kicked ass. I also bought the cheap stuff of eBay and it lasted a long time.

Out!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
H4

the hyper takes the H7, correct?
The Hyper uses a H4 bulb, I just installed a 8000K Platinum series Xenon replacement bulb in my Hyper, its DOT approved and has the same draw as the stock one 60/55W but the output is an amazing 135/125W! Lighting is said to be increased by 30% during the day its looks about the same, but at night its a MUCH brighter, whiter light ! with a slight cool blue tint. I got mine at a motorcycle swapmeet for about $50.00 for a pair.

My dealer said to be careful about using the really high draw headlight bulbs that are over the stock 60/55W as they can "MELT" the very expensive wire loom!:eek: now you know, Alex

·
Registered
65 Posts
i have tried a few different things over the years & you get what you pay for i think applies still. on an cbr 900 i put in bulbs out of a off road 4 wheeler that was out at the time, not much at all, and they were bright, bright, bright. everybody flashed me & i only had low beam on, they were like double the stock bulbs output.

in my rc51 i spent the ching & got the real deal hid's from a place in i think sacramento, gohid.com was the site. they had a button for car or bike & these likhts are bad ass, i think it was around 500-600 for both kits as they are sold individually. they look just like what a high end car coming at you looks like. after you start up the bike you can see these things continuing to get brighter for a good 15 seconds or so. i know they ain't cheap but i like the idea of being visible in traffic a lot. or else fuck em just keep the brights on & so what if you get flashed your on a ducati & they are in a mini van

·
Registered
862 Posts
My only concern with the HID is heat output. I have metal halide lights on my reef tank and I had to buy a chiller because the increase of heat and I have an open top canopy with a 84 gallon main tank and a 96 gallon sump. I am am going to go back to T5 florescents to save on the electric bill.

What happens if you let your semi sealed HID equipped headlight sit and idle for a while? I remember somebody here throwing their jacket over the front of the bike and the light housing melted from the built up heat.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Heat in the lamp housing/reflector is of no concern, in fact its less than the stock Halogen lamp. The total power dissipation of the HID system is 35W. Most of it is in light(very efficient) but there are some losses in heat between the ballast and the lamp.

What is a concern is the fact that the OEM reflectors were designed around the Halogen lamp (filament) geometry, and simply installing an HID kit provides more light but wastes even more in scatter. For off road its fine but I don't need the extra LEO attention on the street. If you want a lot more light, I think a better solution is to mount a pair of self contained HID driving lights. These have the correct projector lenses and when aimed properly should cause no problems.

·
Castle Anthrax
203 Posts
If there is any concern with using a higher wattage bulb (such as 100/130), there is a company that puts out a very nice kit that takes the high current draw out of the stock headlight wiring.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/body_products.html

They are locate in Japan but orders placed will be in your hands in 1 week by regular mail delivery.

Others who have installed one of their kits say that it helps even if you put a stock bulb back in- but much better with a higher wattage halogen.

BTW, I have also read that regular headlight reflectors do not match up with well with HID's but if it works without causing attention or excessive glare to oncoming traffic- great

1 - 20 of 28 Posts