Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am really considering upgrading to a one piece tubless rim on my GT. I found a set of Brembo 3 Spoke wheels on the forum and would like to know what I need to fit these bad boys.

I did a search, and the OP did not get the answers that I need so I am asking again.

Do I need axles, spacers, and bearings for front or back rims?
Will my stock calipers/rotors front and back work with these wheels?
Does anyone know what the weight savings would be from GT wheels/tires/tubes to these with tires mounted?

Is it worth it worth it for $500 with new tires, or will I not notice a difference?

Thanks your the best

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am thinking about a similar change. I think you may need some axles, spacers, etc....but the swap has been done before and someone here can give you your answers. Do a search if you have not already.

Eveyone who has swapped wheels to something lighter has raved about the change. Handling and suspension compliance get much better.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
What year is the donor bike? That will affect whether you need to worry about swapping bearings, axles, etc.

The newer bikes (I think 2000 and newer) should all have 25mm axles, and so you wouldn't have to swap out bearings and axles. You might still need spacers, etc.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I will ask the seller what year ST2 they came from.

As for searching, I did and the brake rotor fitment question was not answered and no one responded on weight difference.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
all st wheels will work.
your rotors will work but you'll need to space them 5mm on each side or or space the calipers.
i might still have some rotor spacers laying around.
you can also just replace the calipers to the 4 piston brembo with a 65mm spacing.
you'll also need an axle and spacer from a monster,st, or late model ss.

500 is too much unless the tire have zero miles on them.

if you have any questions pm me i'll get you all the part numbers needed.
i didn't save a whole lot of weight on the wheels alone(mine was a PS), but getting rid of 7 lbs of tubes is enough.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks PS1K,

Do you or anyone else have pictures with the 3 spokers on a SC or GT?

Does anyone know if the rims alone are lighter than the stock GT rims?

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I'm putting the same wheels on my GT. I already have the wheels, rotor spacers and axle. I'm having mine powdercoated black, should look pretty sharp. :cool:

There was a post a while ago where somebody posted a detailed spreadsheet with the weights of a lot of different wheels. The Brembo three spokes are said to be 20 lbs. lighter than the GT wheels! Those chrome wheels look great but they're real boat anchors apparently.

Debby

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet thanks a lot man for info and pics!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Have you seen this thread? http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=48357
Another: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthre...t=spoke+wheels

http://www.geocities.com/ducatisport..._BrakeDiag.jpg

ST wheels should have 25mm axles f/r. To keep the stock front calipers you shim either the rotor or the caliper, OR no shims and 4P calipers. The rear should plug in.

I'm doing this swap also, the wheels are in the garage.. No pics until it's done, though I'd like to see any pics of 3-spokes on a GT. I'm also going the one-caliper route for weight savings, see this: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=48368

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That bike looks amazing!

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
ST2 wheels are really heavy:

All wheels with OEM disks, except the 10-spoke magnesium Marchesini, which have full floating Discacciati disks

front wheels:

ST2 12.9 kg used Diablo Corsa
SS 11.7 kg used Corsa
BST 10.2 kg new Corsa
Marchesini 10.3 kg new Diablo

Rear Wheel
ST2 16.9 kg new Diablo
SS 15.3 kg used Corsa
BST 12.1 kg new Corsa
Marchesini 12.6 kg new Diablo

Tom

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Tom,

So the ST2 Front is 28 pounds with Rubber and Rotors, and the Rear is 35 pounds with rotor and rubber. According to Web Bike World the stock GT wheels are: 30.5 pounds for the Rear with Sprokect Rotor and Tube (no Tire), and 17.25 pounds for the front with tube and not rotor and tire.

How much do tires and rotors weigh?

Does anyone know the exact weight savings from the GT or SC wheels to 3 spokers?

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wish I saved the numbers when I upgraded to three spoked Brembos from the OEM aluminum wheels. I know it was a savings of at least 10 lbs and no more stinkin' tubes!
The OEM wheels on the GT are even heavier than mine were.
I saw a beautiful set on e-bay yesterday. :rolleyes:

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Tire and disks on my ST2 weigh 7.6 kg (16.7 lbs) front, 7.2 (15.8) kg rear.

That gives OEM wheel weights of 11.3 lbs front, 19.2 lbs rear w/o disks/tires, so actually much lighter than your OEM wheels! (6 lbs front, 11 rear)

Tom

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but i was wondering if anyone has any pictures of Paul Smarts or other SC's with the 3 Spoke Brembo wheels.

Which bikes did they come from ST, SS? What did it take to have them fit?

Many thanks!
Hey Schtirlitz. You need a 3.5 x 17 wheel w/ a 25mm axle up front, a front axle from an SS/ST/Monster, and a speedo spacer. (I got mine @ Motowheels.) The rear is a 5.5 x 17, and needs to come from a Monster or ST with a dual swingarm. Avoid the SS wheel, it came with a 17 mm axle and can be converted but it's nowhere as easy as the other wheels. Stock rear axle. Your front discs will work with 4 piston brakes-65mm mount arrangement. Using your stock calipers will require shims.
Here's mine: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=88147
I had to convert the SS wheel, and if I had it to do over I'd pay a lot more attention before buying!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts