Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Rob, AFAIK, sintered pads give better braking but wear the discs faster.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, have heard that as well. The Brembo ones in the image just say Compound or Carbon Ceramic. I don't think they're sintered. I'll probably grab a set of the latter as in Paddy's recommendation.

Something else...

I've flushed out and cleaned up my speedo drive and attempted to pump it full of grease. My gun just squishes it out the side of the adapter as it's not made for this fitting.

What sort of nipple adapter thing is meant to fit the one in the image below... I'm guessing there must be one that has an o-ring or rubber seal that one holds in place just with manual pressure?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I didn't use grease; I remember reading this somewhere. I first soaked it in kerosene, turning the mechanism frequently; lots of black stuff came out. Once there was no more black contaminant, I pushed the little ball down with a screw driver and patiently squeezed oil in with a small syringe, stopping, turning the mechanism and oiling again until clean oil started coming out of the drive side mechanism. The thickest oil I had in the garage was 50W so this is what I used.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Aha! I have an ancient grease gun from a lawnmower that fits. What is needed is a grease gun with a round end, like a hollow ball, very easy to find at auto-jumbles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes, I also found further posts about using oil and not grease for this. Seems these same drives are all over other old bikes, Triumphs etc. That ball-bearing thing makes more sense as a port for oiling.

Regarding pads - I think mine might have sintered pads and they're chewing up the discs - I'd noticed they were becoming rather shiny lately. I'm getting a set of these to replace them:

Same part number front and rear. I think they've separate front and rear listings on their site just because of the way the parts picker works.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just to give you a little more comfort, here's the original Brembo spec sheet. Original part nos were 07BB1408 & 1410 - never did work out the difference. Front and back, same pads.

Carbon or compound? Suspect it ain't gonna make much difference in real life. Just avoid sintered pads on cast iron discs (as you know).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm ordering the compound ones as you've got in that spec sheet. They haven't got 3 pairs of the ceramic ones in NZ and Gowanloch Sydney only have one pair and say that nothing's coming in at the moment.

From what I can tell, the ceramic offer a longer life, but not necessarily any other significant benefit. The main thing is to get these sintered ones off the bike.. what a mess!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts