Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm currently debating on whether to get the Brembo 17RCS or the 19RCS master cylinder for the new Hyper 950 SP. From what I've read, the stock calipers are the M4 calipers with 32mm pistons (M432). I do not know what the stock master cylinder piston size is, does anyone know?

I've seen some websites recommend the 17RCS for the M432 but I don't know if that's just a direct swap or an actual performance upgrade. I've ran the 19RCS on many previous bikes (R6, R1, currently on my 1098) and love the powerful feel. It's always been on the track and I like the initial bit and understand it's less modulation. But that was also about 8 years ago and I don't know what calipers it was.

I don't want a full on wooden feel but looking for at least a slight performance gain. I've also never owned a bike with ABS before so not sure what I need to take into consideration for that as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I spent much time experimenting and researching solutions for a spongy brake feel on the Panigale 959 I had last year. The only solution that seems to work is an ABS delete kit. You bypass the ABS unit for the front brakes ans establish a firm brake lever with improved modulation.

https://www.ducatiomaha.com/products/racing-panigale-front-abs-delete-kit

I have never seen nor read about any other sure fix.

ABS interferes with brake feel for some reason.

Reach out to Ducati Omaha and see what they have for the hyper.

·
Registered
94 Posts
For 32mm diameter pistons you need the RCS-19. The 17 was specially developed for the M50 calipers that have smaller diameter pistons.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Strega thanks for the attachment, those are the ratio's I was looking at earlier to help with my decision but wasn't sure what the stock master piston was. I know the master is visually different on the 950 than it was on the previous year but not sure what the change was and if the piston is the same or not.
@Pard I've heard of the ABS causing issues (or more so user preference issues) with the spongy feel, I'll definitely keep that in mind if it comes down to it, not quite ready to bypass it yet though.
@haloguy628 Now that you mention that I do recall seeing the 17 was developed for the M50 (30mm pistons). Sounds like if I were to do anything then the 19 would be the one to try.

Now I just need to decide if I want to try it out. It will obviously be a firmer feel, and unfortunately I don't think I'll know how much until I try. I could also try different pads with more of an initial bite.

For what it's worth, the brakes are NOT at all bad on the 950 and they definitely do their job. Just trying to go back to a feel I'm used to from when I was at the track every weekend haha. I'm not interested in upgrading calipers for this bike, maybe if it were a track only bike but that is definitely not the case.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
The 19RSC also has two different leverage setting. There is a huge difference in the feeling of the two settings. One setting giving a very firm feel requiring a heavier pull and the other setting giving a softer lighter touch.

I’m using this MC with Brembo P4-34 calipers on my Monster and it’s fantastic on the track and almost too much on the street. I had to go to organic pads to tame it down a touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 19RSC also has two different leverage setting. There is a huge difference in the feeling of the two settings. One setting giving a very firm feel requiring a heavier pull and the other setting giving a softer lighter touch.

I’m using this MC with Brembo P4-34 calipers on my Monster and it’s fantastic on the track and almost too much on the street. I had to go to organic pads to tame it down a touch.

Thanks! yeah for your calipers with the 34mm pistons the 19RCS if 100% the way to go, but the 19RCS on the 32 put's it right on the line of "is it too firm". and Brembo doesn't make an 18RCS haha.

I have the M434 in black on my 1098 with the 19RCS, just trying to figure out the best route for the 32mm pistons. At this point I'm leaning towards the 19RCS or leaving the stock unit on (assuming it is in fact an 18mm master)

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
On my older Ducati’s the MC piston size is listed in the specs near the back of the owners manual.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't even think to check there, just assumed that type of info wouldn't be listed there. Worth checking! I'll take a look this afternoon, I'm going to be swapping out all the reservoirs with Rizoma's so will be doing a little bleeding.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, according to the manual the front Master Cylinder is the PR18/19 which from a google search says it’s an 18mm piston

1 - 10 of 10 Posts