Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of questions regarding this master cyl...

1. Has anyone installed one of these on their HM-S?
2. Is it an improvement over stock?
3. Is it compatible with the stock front brake line?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
What would you consider an "improvement"?

·
Registered
426 Posts
That's a good question. On the hyper S you don't want to increase the breaking force, but if it gave better feel than that would be good.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would you consider an "improvement"?
Hey Billy, the bike stops plenty good, I'm looking for a firmer and more consistent feel while maintaining progressive braking. The stock mc is OK, and my lines are bled, just wondering about how much better the RCS would be.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I switched to a 19x18 master cylinder (from the stock 18x19) because I too wanted a more progressive lever feel.

I did this not so much because I had any complaints about the HM-S brakes per se, but rather because they we're so much more sensitive than any of my other bikes that I ride consistently. I didn't want to have to remember which bike I was riding in an emergency situation.

For this purpose, the 19x18 was definitely a move in the right direction; however, I think a 19x20 might have been even better for my liking. At the time, the RCS with its selectable 18 or 20 mm offset was not available.

Why don't you get one, decide you don't like the RCS and then sell it to me for half price?

What are you going to do about a brake switch? Reserviors?

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked one up a couple of days ago. It came with a nice billet reservoir and brake microswitch. Haven't installed it yet cause I'm up to my eyeballs with my Sprinter conversion project. If I don't like the RCS, we'll work out a deal.

I switched to a 19x18 master cylinder (from the stock 18x19) because I too wanted a more progressive lever feel.

I did this not so much because I had any complaints about the HM-S brakes per se, but rather because they we're so much more sensitive than any of my other bikes that I ride consistently. I didn't want to have to remember which bike I was riding in an emergency situation.

For this purpose, the 19x18 was definitely a move in the right direction; however, I think a 19x20 might have been even better for my liking. At the time, the RCS with its selectable 18 or 20 mm offset was not available.

Why don't you get one, decide you don't like the RCS and then sell it to me for half price?

What are you going to do about a brake switch? Reserviors?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Peter, did you get that master cylinder installed yet? I have one on my R1 and I love it.

I'm seriously thinking about getting one for the hyper too cus I have that stupid brake pump problem with the stock MC (first pump soft, second pump rock hard). Lines have been bled till I'm blue in the face and the calipers have been cleaned several times already. I'm convinced it's a problem with the MC.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Peter, did you get that master cylinder installed yet? I have one on my R1 and I love it.

I'm seriously thinking about getting one for the hyper too cus I have that stupid brake pump problem with the stock MC (first pump soft, second pump rock hard). Lines have been bled till I'm blue in the face and the calipers have been cleaned several times already. I'm convinced it's a problem with the MC.
Yes, the I installed the m/c last week. Works great! More consistent feel compared to the stocker.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I need the stock one...

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need the stock one...
Oh, I see. Yes I still have the stock one but I'm keeping it together with the stock mc in my spares box.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Awesome thanks for the feedback. Did it fit with the stock handguards? It looked like it was going to be tight.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome thanks for the feedback. Did it fit with the stock handguards? It looked like it was going to be tight.
I have aftermarket handguards (Zeta) on my bike. I did shim them out a bit using a couple of stainless washers. Don't know if the RCS lever will interfere with the stock guards.

·
Registered
592 Posts
i just ordered one.. waiting for it to turn up.. also found the EBC-HH pads for the stock calipers. bedding them in now, from the get go they are stronger than stockers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Awesome Peter, thanks a lot for the info. Looks like I'll order another one :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts