Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 5,000 miles and the stock brake pads on. When I hit the front brake it sounds like a garbage truck's brakes, just before I get to a complete stop. I feel a slight vibration and a howling sound (not really a squeal).

I sprayed the back of the brake pads with adhesive spray (Disc Brake Quite) in an attempt to have the pads stick to the pistons and therefore stop the vibration, but I didn't solve the problem.

My next try will be to have the pads and the rotors sanded in order to remove any glazed surface.

I know this subject has already been covered in this forum in the past.

But I'm curious to know how many Hypermotard out there are still experiencing this issue and if sanding the pads and rotor solved their problem.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Mine did it until my mechanic couldn't take it and sanded the pads. Never really bothered me much I wear custom molded earplugs. Compared to the brake shudder on my first Multistrada (scary sh*t) it's a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought someone traced this to a resonance going into the fender and elimated it by adding some rubber grommets/spacers between the fender mounts and the fender.

I get it pretty frequently too and at some point I'll try the rubber grommet trick but otherwise it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I also read about that and I tried the rubber washer between the fender and the mounts but it didn't work.

That's neither the problem nor the solution.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Don't "sand" the rotor. The proper tool to use is a rotor hone at low rpms. This maintains the cross hatching on brake rotor. You can lightly sand the pads to knock off any shine on the surface of the pads.

Before you do the rotor hone, try cleaning each rotor thoroughly with paper towels and brake cleaner. Deposits build up on the rotor and produce the sound/vibration that you are feeling. I clean the rotors at each oil and tire change.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to hear the rubbers didn't work.
As for cleaning the rotors off every oil change, I think it's just coincidence that that works. I have less than 300 miles on my bike and it's doing it already. I suppose deposits could build up more slowly after the pads are initially bedded in but I'm sceptical.

When I pull my calipers to try to fix the brake pump, I'll probably pull the anti-rattle plates to see if that fixes the howling: my next best guess.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Sorry to hear the rubbers didn't work.
As for cleaning the rotors off every oil change, I think it's just coincidence that that works. I have less than 300 miles on my bike and it's doing it already. I suppose deposits could build up more slowly after the pads are initially bedded in but I'm sceptical.

When I pull my calipers to try to fix the brake pump, I'll probably pull the anti-rattle plates to see if that fixes the howling: my next best guess.
You can be skeptical if you want but cleaning the rotors was one of the first things I did when I picked up my bike from the dealer when it was new. This is especially important when the bike is new. The rotors have a coating of sticky stuff on them to prevent corrosion during shipping. Its not a heavy coating but its there. Cleaning is easy enough to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I should have added that I did clean them off with brake cleaner after about 100 miles.

If it had any bearing you wouldn't need to keep cleaning them.

Come to think of it, I had an 03 gsxr750 w/galfer rotors and vesrah pads that would make the howling sound. Since it was a track bike I only ever heard the howling in the pits but it was definitely the same sound. And that setup had no rattle pads so I'm now thinking that won't fix it either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I should have added that I did clean them off with brake cleaner after about 100 miles.

If it had any bearing you wouldn't need to keep cleaning them.

Come to think of it, I had an 03 gsxr750 w/galfer rotors and vesrah pads that would make the howling sound. Since it was a track bike I only ever heard the howling in the pits but it was definitely the same sound. And that setup had no rattle pads so I'm now thinking that won't fix it either.
How about a small chamfer on the leading edge of the brake pad?

·
Registered
147 Posts
For me it got worse during and just after riding in the rain. However, after about 8000km it became a standard sound for wet/dry/hard/normal braking conditions. Had it checked, cleaned the assymbly and it was still there. At 10000km the pads wore out and changed them to original Brembo pads, (though I did notice the pads were slightly different that those that came with the bike) - it has less grooves (or was it more?) than the ones that came with the bike. I have since clocked another 2000km on the new pads. The howling sounds has vanished completely even in the rain. I think it's the different grooves in the pads.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
The fix for me was sanding the pads... lubing the pistons AND applying anti-seize/Wurth anti brake squeal to the backs of the pads (very light coat). Haven't heard a sound since.

B

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried also that the chamfer on the leading edge of the pads as suggested by Trials/Rider when I applied the adhesive spray to the back of the pads (Disc Brake Quite).

Needless to say, also this remedy was unsuccessful.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Bead blasting the front rotors and sanding the front pads didn't help. Becuase the bike is still under the 2 years warranty, I called the Ducati dealer at Modesto to see if they were willing to replace the brake pads.

I was told that if the bike had less than 1,000 miles on it, they would have done it. But because I have almost 6,000 miles, they wouldn't do that. This is very unfair. This kind of issues should be covered by the warranty. The Brembo mono block shouldn't squil and vibrate that way.

So the last option I'm left with, is to replace the front brake pads.

My question to you guys is: would you use the stock pads? Or get different ones? If different from stock, which one would recommend?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just called Ducati Modesto to find out how much would a new set of front brake pads cost. They are ridiculously expensive!!!

Stock Brembo brake pads: $165,00 per set = $330,00 + tax
After market Ducati Performance Racing = $60,00 per set = $120,00 + tax

I can hear my friend John who rides a standard model laughing out loud!

I'm so pissed!!!!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
My 'S' has the howl.

I just sand the pads to remove the glaze occassionally and it fixes it, for a while.

If your not using the monoblocks hard, the OEM pads will squeal. I'm looking for some after market pads to see if I can cure the problem.

Anyone recommend any?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 'S' has the howl.

I just sand the pads to remove the glaze occassionally and it fixes it, for a while.

If your not using the monoblocks hard, the OEM pads will squeal. I'm looking for some after market pads to see if I can cure the problem.

Anyone recommend any?
My friend John suggested to try this:
EBC front brake pads, sintered metalic HM1100S fa447hh $30.00

https://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/brake_pads.html

I will give it a try and see if it cures the nasty sound. I just ordered a full set. I'll post the results as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
your friend john sounds like a cheap bastard :rolleyes:
Hear hear! neehh... he's just "un bravo ragazzo", as they would say in Italy.

Seriously, I'm not gonna spend 330 bucks to replace my Brembo which have still a lot of life left, just to find out that it doesn't fix the noise problem.

On the other hand, if new pads don't fix the issue, Ducati is going to hear about that. I will go all the way to Borgo Panigale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts