Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
13,253 Posts
Working now...

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it is OEM on the 2017 Multistrada 1200S and some other late models.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,756 Posts
Hard to believe that Brembo decided to use a cheap and nasty plastic piston instead of an alloy one.
Quality down the pan.

Brembo has been able to identify that the faulty piston is made from a type of plastic (polyphenylene sulphide), and to remedy the situation, an aluminum piston will need to be used as a replacement piece.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ducati included in the recall and specific affected Ducatis identified here.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
I smell a free brake fluid change and bleed.

Reactions: DuckMan

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I like your attitude. :)

But this has me wondering about the non-OEM Brembo pieces I recently bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hard to believe that Brembo decided to use a cheap and nasty plastic piston instead of an alloy one.
Quality down the pan.

Brembo has been able to identify that the faulty piston is made from a type of plastic (polyphenylene sulphide), and to remedy the situation, an aluminum piston will need to be used as a replacement piece.
Yes for the 3 cents they saved on this cheap part, they'll be eating labor ($100 per hour) and brake fluid. maybe they should have their finance people travel around and do the repairs.

Reactions: davy.j and scott

·
Registered
278 Posts
Grrr I’m affected and I ride my bike, 16500mi last yr

It’s in the shop Getting the 18k service done this wk even

And 2 other riding buddies w 1200S w that kind of mileage as well

2015 Monster 1200S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Quality down the pan.

There may be some technical advantages to using a plastic piston... and it's possible it outperforms metal on new bikes. My concern would be that plastic ages and over time tends to get brittle, which means it would likely need to be a wear item that periodically gets replaced even if it IS a better design. I guess I'd rather have something bulletproof that weighs a bit more or is a bit less effective than have another point of failure in my brake system.

Reactions: ncgt1000

·
8,756 Posts
There is no technical advantage to using an injection moulded pps piston, only a cost reduction.
Alloy really doesn't have a half life, pps does.
Brembo have lost the plot.

And fwiw Brembo historically don't supply master cylinder service parts for Ducati's and I can't see that ever changing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ducati has been cheapening out

My chain looked like crap early and broke a link at 11k

Decals on tank are no longer clear coated , let alone my decals that were raised about 1/8”, so they pealed from repeated cleaning

Little things that add up to a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do not think we can blame Ducati for Brembo's decision to use plastic for an internal part.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts

·
8,756 Posts
Try buying a master cylinder kit for a 748, 916, 998, 996... they don't exist.
Brembo stopped supplying them after a lawsuit concerning a rebuilt unit.

I searched far and wide for a kit for mine, there are NON on ebay and No Balls don't produce them either.
I located suitable seals in a kit for a Honda but No Balls wouldn't supply them separately and there's only on in each kit and two are required.
Finally got some primary and secondary 5/8" seals that do the job from a local brake parts supplier for about $1.50 for the pair.
You got ripped off :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts