Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across a servicing manual/document/video for the callipers we have on the ST bikes?

I’m looking to invest in another set of callipers shortly as my current ones are pretty tired looking, and my rear calliper sticks, but as I don’t plan on removing them until I start my restoration of the bike, the new set will get overhauled first.

When time comes, I’ll just swap them around, and keep the old ones as spares should I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,563 Posts
They can be split, scrubbed clean and reassembled very easily. Replacement seals are available, but oddly expensive. If you need replacement pistons too, new calipers will be more cost effective.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-ST4S-ST4-S-2002-2003-2004-02-03-04-Brembo-front-brake-caliper-seal-kit/182030504003?hash=item2a61dd1043:g:bFsAAOxymnFSC2Tt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-ST4S-Sport-Touring-rear-brake-caliper-seal-repair-kit-2002-2003-2004/162469139091?hash=item25d3ea5293:g:IZIAAOSwBvNTquZR

I've done a few. First set I replaced the seals, but the calipers weren't leaking and found that if I was just cleaning and refreshing them, the seals could have been left off the list. 2 other sets, I just disassembled, cleaned and re greased. No issues with doing that. The pistons come out with a little compressed air in to the appropriate port. They will pop out and take flight if you're not careful. I learned to do it with the caliper in a plastic freezer bag. Catches old brake fluid and the pistons... Careful cleaning the pistons. They have a slick coating on them that you don't want to scrape or scrub off. I'd assume if that coating was pitted or damaged, you're into new pistons. Haven't had that problem yet, but I see the possibility.

Seems all the parts needed, including the red rubber grease, are from the UK. You should be able to get what you need pretty easy.

Some action shots of the last 4P set I did. These ended up on my ST. They are different calipers, but the process is the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dan, yeah I’ve noticed the seal kits on eBay are quite a bit more expensive, roughly £40 just for one front calliper

Needless to say, I’d rather spend the time now and overhaul the new replacement set, so when time comes, I can just unbolt, then re-bolt the new set straight on.

My restoration plan for my ST2 has come full circle, originally I thought about making it a street fighter, then a cafe racer, but I just couldn’t bring myself to liking the ideas, so instead I’ve decided to restore her to her original self, but with a new, fresh look colour wise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
Honestly, if they are not leaking why swap seals or split them open? You can pop the pistons out one by one and clean off any build up with a microfiber cloth and brake fluid.

Just sayin'.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
That red rubber grease can be hard to find, I believe this is the same thing and should be readily available at any Toyota dealer: Part number 08887-01206

·
Premium Member
5,563 Posts
What's the story behind the red rubber grease? I thought you used fresh brake fluid to lube the pistons upon install.
You can.

Brembo gives you a little packet of grease with their seal kit which I assume is the same as the red rubber grease except it is colorless. When I was looking in to this for the first time I saw several videos where people coated the seals and pistons with grease at assembly. Seems like a good idea to me. One of the problems with calipers prompting the need for a rebuild, beyond leaking, is a sticking hard to move piston. My hope is the grease will help keep that from happening for a longer period of time. Maybe over kill, but I smeared extra grease between the two seals hoping to create a reservoir of grease that might also help to keep things smooth.

·
Mr Leakered
8,782 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts