Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
booyakasha!
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The feel the first time you grab the brakes is "wow!" They feel stronger and more linear/progressive than the stock Brembo 2-piston/2 pad. I probably need to get the pads to seat by riding more but nevertheless, it feels great!

Ingredients:

a) Brembo Goldline 4 piston / 2 pad calipers from a 748/996/998 Superbike (qty 2) (I bought mine here) $124 for both

b) EBC HH sintered metallic HH pads (2 calipers sets) (purchased here) $31 x 2

c) MOTUL 600 Racing Brake Fluid (over here) $20

Use the existing brakelines and master cylinder.

A key part to this upgrade is two-fold:

1) Alpina spoked-tubless wheels (or March mag wheels, etc).

I have the Alpina wheels which provide clearance for the usage of these Brembo goldline 4p/2p calipers and others. The rotor-to-hub spacing is exactly the same as the stock wheels, so, what's the difference? The Alpina spokes are more vertical instead of more "diagonal" arrangement of stock wheels, thus the caliper does not hit the spokes when installed. (It seems that one could possibly install this caliper when you have a stock spoke wheel but then you'd have to machine off the back of the caliper. That kinda looks scary to me because you're removing wall thickness from the caliper piston itself.)

2) A machinist to remove 4mm off the mounting bosses of the calipers.

Why? The goldline caliper installs nicely as-is, BUT the caliper is offset by 4mm. It's too close to the center hub of the wheel by 4mm. Machining the bosses off the caliper will move the caliper outboard by 4mm and the rotor will now pass through the centerline of the caliper perfectly.

Once you have machined down the mounting bosses by 4mm, the rest of the installation is a piece of cake.

The upgrade with photos:

THE CALPER (yucky, dirty, and greasy - needs love)

AFTER MACHINING (spot-face with smooth fillet radius)

CLEAN THEM UP PRETTY (with Simple Green)

INSTALL THE PADS

BOLT THEM ON

CHECK FOR CLEARANCES

ALL DONE!!!

BEFORE:______________ AFTER:
____

I forgot to mention the machinist's cost: 36-can case of Bud Light (x2) :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
wall thickness

Use the existing brakelines and master cylinder.

The Alpina spokes are more vertical instead of more "diagonal" arrangement of stock wheels, thus the caliper does not hit the spokes when installed. (It seems that one could possibly install this caliper when you have a stock spoke wheel but then you'd have to machine off the back of the caliper. That kinda looks scary to me because you're removing wall thickness from the caliper piston itself.)

2) A machinist to remove 4mm off the mounting bosses of the calipers.

Why? The goldline caliper installs nicely as-is, BUT the caliper is offset by 4mm. It's too close to the center hub of the wheel by 4mm. Machining the bosses off the caliper will move the caliper outboard by 4mm and the rotor will now pass through the centerline of the caliper perfectly.

Once you have machined down the mounting bosses by 4mm, the rest of the installation is a piece of cake.

Best post I have seen on this subject,, I recently had a track day and cooked my front standard brakes on the GT, I decided to put in new pads as I live on Mars I could not get ebc hh at the time, I was talked into another brand which has stainless heat shields on the piston side of the pads thus the pads were thicker by 2 pieces of stainless, both sides my thoughts it pushed the pistons further back putting more fluid into the already full reservoir thus causing the brakes to drag when it all heated up result cooked calipers soooo, I would be interested in doing the same BUT I will need to look at shaving off the back of the caliper (in picture) How much meat is there? will there be enough? a couple of tricky questions. has someone measured the wall thickness or can they, and finally how thick is thick enough?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
By the way, please post about how they feel to you after they are bedded in and you have a feel for them. I absolutely love these calipers and think they are night and day vs. the stock setup.

Also, I'd love to get the contact info for your machinist because I will have a pair drop-shipped to him so I can use them with stock wheels on my GT, since I ran into a set of Paul Smart wheels I'm going to try on the GT and don't want to go back to stock calipers.

I'm also in CA and don't mind a little shipping cost to have your guy do it. I would rather have a guy who has done it before take a crack at it as opposed to talking some local guy through this and hoping it somehow turns out right.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Don't forget that the OEM hoses are both too long and point in the wrong direction. They point outwards and not towards the back.

If you're lucky you might find a set in the classifieds...;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Great post and really helpfull pic's

I am going to be putting Alpina's on my bike in the spring. Can i ask if the brembo 4 piston/4 pad calipiers will fit on directly without any machining required???? with the standard fork & rotor set up.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
It depends on the Alpinas.

The "1st Generation" Alpinas are the same width as your stock wheels and are designed to bolt right up with all stock parts. They will require the same machining of the 4-pot calipers as aeolian has just shown us.

The "2nd Generation" Alpinas are narrower and have removable shims to place the rotors in the stock position. Without the shims, they would place your stock rotors in the correct location to align with the 4-pots.

·
booyakasha!
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't forget that the OEM hoses are both too long and point in the wrong direction. They point outwards and not towards the back.

If you're lucky you might find a set in the classifieds...;)
Yes. True.

The 4 piston / 2 pad calipers has the brakeline's fitting about 2-3 inches higher up the fork than the stock 2 piston caliper.

This makes the your brakeline about 2-3 longer than you need them - but that's OK. When you attach the brakelines to the caliper, all you need to do is clock the fitting and hoses.

The 4 piston / 2 pad calipers are the closest you're going to get to bolt-on upgrades.

It all works out.

But if you have the 4 piston / 4 pad or the Discacciati calipers, you will need different hoses because the fittings' angles and clocking are very different.

Take a look at the differences:

STOCK

4p/2p Calipers:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Good post! I've read that these will work with stock wheels or first gen Alpinas, and don't require shaving like the 4p4p calipers do. Can someone confirm or deny this?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Good post! I've read that these will work with stock wheels or first gen Alpinas, and don't require shaving like the 4p4p calipers do. Can someone confirm or deny this?
The 4p2p's will not fit the stock wheels without the shaving. Someone will chime in about whether they bolt to the Alpinas, but I think they may, not sure.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've got the 1st gen Aplinas, but am under the impression that they are the same dimensions as the OEM wheels. So if it won't work with them, it probably won't work with my wheels.

I know it's been done with success, but I just don't feel warm and fuzzy about shaving material off the brakes.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I've got the 1st gen Aplinas, but am under the impression that they are the same dimensions as the OEM wheels. So if it won't work with them, it probably won't work with my wheels.
Not necessarily. It's the spokes that cause the interference, and the Alpina's don't have the same spoke angle as the stockers. LIke I said, someone should chime in.

·
booyakasha!
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The thread confirms your question! (I think I understand your question)

This thread I posted is for 4 piston / 2 pads Goldline Brembos installed on 1st generation Alpinas. Stock wheels will need the 4p/2p to be shaved in the back because of the spokes.

I kept this thread generic in regards to 1st gen VS. 2nd gen Alpinas because one has spacers (2nd gen) and the other doesn't. Either way, you can install these 4p2p Goldline Brembos on both.

Backhome77: Since you have 1st gen Alpinas, follow the steps I used in this thread and you'll be able to use 4p2p on your bike.

However, I cannot confirm if 4 piston / 4 pad Brembos need shaving in the back or the bosses need some machining.

·
booyakasha!
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The 4p2p's will not fit the stock wheels without the shaving. Someone will chime in about whether they bolt to the Alpinas, but I think they may, not sure.
Correct.

For stock wheels, 4p2p's you will need to machine the mounting bosses AND the backside of each caliper because they will hit the spokes.

For Alpinas (1st gen), 4p2p's will need ONLY the mounting bosses machined down 4mm. The rest bolts up nicely and clears the spokes.

·
booyakasha!
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Maybe this could help out...

Remember, this is for 4-piston/2-pad Goldline Brembos.

Alpina - 1st Generation
Follow the 1st post of this thread.
-Machine the caliper mounting bosses 4mm.
-Use all existing hardware and bolt it up.
-Enjoy. Easy.

Alpina - 2nd Generation
-Remove the 4mm spacer between the hub and the rotors. (I need confirmation on this but I think I'm correct. I used this post as reference and it worked for me.)
-Install the calipers (No machining required at all. Nowhere. Nice!)
-Enjoy. Easier than 1st gen Alpinas.

Stock wheels (Open to the most problems but can be done - I wouldn't.)
-Machine the caliper mounting bosses by 4mm.
-Machine the backside of the calipers in a diagonal manner possibly breaching the brakepad piston cavity. Scary and no thanks.
-Enjoy with apprehension.

Mag Wheels
Now, if you have mag wheels installed (like Marchesini or from ST4 or Monster, etc), then you will have all the clearance in the world for the backside of the calipers. All you have to worry about is the caliper-to-rotor alignment. (need confirmation) Probably just machining down the caliper mounting bosses by 4mm or make a new rotor-to-hub spacer.

I am going to make a leap of faith that the 4p/4p calipers will be exactly the same installation as the 4p/2p with the exception that:

1) You will need new/different hoses because of the way the end-fittings are bent.

2) You will need a larger flow/pressure Master Cylinder (like a radial master cylinder) because the the calipers will require more flow/pressure. I know some people have done it with the stock master cylinder but they have to use lots of brake lever-travel (or pump it a couple times) to accomplish the pressures needed for hard braking.

My opinion is to go for 4p2p Goldlines if you have Alpinas or mag wheels.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Mag Wheels
Now, if you have mag wheels installed (like Marchesini or from ST4 or Monster, etc), then you will have all the clearance in the world for the backside of the calipers. All you have to worry about is the caliper-to-rotor alignment. (need confirmation) Probably just machining down the caliper mounting bosses by 4mm or make a new rotor-to-hub spacer.
Nope, that situation is MUCH easier. With all the "mags" I know of, the goldlines will bolt up and work perfect. The mag wheels have narrower hubs so they present rotor/alignment issues with stock calipers, but they align perfectly with the Goldlines.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts