Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 1000S for about a year and a half now. I've put about 5k miles on it since then. Every time I get it up to 4-7k I get a fairly loud tapping noise that matches the engine revs. My assumption was valves due to the airbox lid but I've also heard about the plug wires arching on the case but I haven't lost any power or seen signs on the wires. I mainly notice it in the lower gears but I'm sure that's because the wind noise is drowning it out when I'm in 4th or above. I do have race Termis and the matching airbox lid. I took it to the shop in Charlotte and one of the techs rode it around the shop said it sounds normal and that I should hear the superbikes. That was about 3k miles ago. I'll try to post a GoPro video of it tomorrow if I can pick up the noise. Does anyone else notice this or am I just super paranoid. She is due for the 7500 service fairly soon...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
It's probably normal, these engines are not the quietest and being air cooled makes it worse. You may have one or two loose valve clearances that will be sorted at the service.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You can check the spark plug wires easily buy reving the engine in the dark and looking for electricity arcing between the wires and the belt covers.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Noises described are very tough to diagnose. As stated these engines are noisy, beautifully mechanical IMHO, but I digress. I wouldn't suspect a valve being so sloppy that you would hear it at 4k rpms, and normally valves don't loosen up they tighten up.

You mentioned that the local dealer thought it was pretty normal. If they thought they could charge you for some repair I bet they would have let you know if something were wrong.

I would find a nice straight stretch of road, bring it to the offending noise creating rpms/speed then pull in the clutch and let it drop to idle while you freewheel. Listen closely then. It could be some other reciprocating part. I've heard worn out chains/sprockets make noises that sound like they're rpm related.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can relate to this, as I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my bike. Have you tried putting your head on either side to try to locate the sound? I did this and noticed it could only be heard on the left side.

I think it's the valves acting out. Mine is pretty much the exact same mileage.

I can understand the workshop didn't notice it. Took me almost an hour explaining to my father what sound I was referring to.

I wouldn't worry to much if I were you. Do the 12000 km service with valve checkup and evaluate after this. At least this is what I'll do, once my bike is in running condition (completely disembled atm).

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I've had my 1000S for about a year and a half now. I've put about 5k miles on it since then. Every time I get it up to 4-7k I get a fairly loud tapping noise that matches the engine revs. My assumption was valves due to the airbox lid but I've also heard about the plug wires arching on the case but I haven't lost any power or seen signs on the wires. I mainly notice it in the lower gears but I'm sure that's because the wind noise is drowning it out when I'm in 4th or above...
Welcome to the happy "tapping" world of desmotronics.

The 4K tapping had me head scratching for awhile. 3K smooth, 4K tap.tap.tap.tap....

The new noise that got me was the whirl @ 30mph. Thought I was dragging a brake; until I remembered switching front sprocket cover to an open version. I craned my head over enough to hear it was the chain & not the brake disc.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can relate to this, as I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my bike. Have you tried putting your head on either side to try to locate the sound? I did this and noticed it could only be heard on the left side.

I think it's the valves acting out. Mine is pretty much the exact same mileage.

I can understand the workshop didn't notice it. Took me almost an hour explaining to my father what sound I was referring to.

I wouldn't worry to much if I were you. Do the 12000 km service with valve checkup and evaluate after this. At least this is what I'll do, once my bike is in running condition (completely disembled atm).

Good luck!
I moved from side to side today. Sounds pretty equal. Meh. Just changed the oil, filter, and cleaned out the pickup screen. Only one minuscule flake of something... Nothing crazy. It still pulls power wheelies from stop lights... I mean controlled track situations :rolleyes: So it's not losing power. I'm just going to assume it's normal and mention it when I get my 7.5k service. I'm going to say I think it's the valves then have them look at me and say they all sound like that...:cool:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I moved from side to side today. Sounds pretty equal. Meh. Just changed the oil, filter, and cleaned out the pickup screen. Only one minuscule flake of something... Nothing crazy. It still pulls power wheelies from stop lights... I mean controlled track situations :rolleyes: So it's not losing power. I'm just going to assume it's normal and mention it when I get my 7.5k service. I'm going to say I think it's the valves then have them look at me and say they all sound like that...:cool:
Ye power is fine:).

It's not sounding bad, at least mine doesn't. But when youve ridden a bike loads of miles you tend to notice unregularities. Hopefully the checkup will solve it :).

Ps, at first I thought the sound came from some screw being lose. Went over pretty much every bolt on the bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check the clamp on the exhaust pipe bridge where the oxy sensor is screwed in. My clamp was a bit loose and a tick gradually became a noticeable exhaust leak. Didn't twig to it until I found the LH pipe slopping around and it sliding up and down the seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts