Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

had my Paul Smart out for the second decent run of the year and it broke down!! was running great then as I slowed for a roundabout and pulled clutch it stalled but refired quite easily. i thought the indicator idiot lamp looked a bit dim. about five minutes later it started mis-firing which got progressively worse until the engine management light came on and it rolled to a stop.

recharged the battery and it fires and runs beautifully. this is where I am confused. pust a multimeter onto the battery and recorded the following:

1. ignition off 12.8v
2. ignition on 12.4v
3. running 12.2v. (** i'm convinced this was 13.5v before bike got upto temperature - going to check again tonight)
4. tacho bounces when bike gets upto temp (50 deg on clock) - found a nick in a green with brown stripe wire.

all useful comments welcome

thanks in advance

Barry

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi all,

had my Paul Smart out for the second decent run of the year and it broke down!! was running great then as I slowed for a roundabout and pulled clutch it stalled but refired quite easily. i thought the indicator idiot lamp looked a bit dim. about five minutes later it started mis-firing which got progressively worse until the engine management light came on and it rolled to a stop.

recharged the battery and it fires and runs beautifully. this is where I am confused. pust a multimeter onto the battery and recorded the following:

1. ignition off 12.8v
2. ignition on 12.4v
3. running 12.2v. (** i'm convinced this was 13.5v before bike got upto temperature - going to check again tonight)
4. tacho bounces when bike gets upto temp (50 deg on clock) - found a nick in a green with brown stripe wire.

all useful comments welcome

thanks in advance

Barry
Sounds as though it's not charging the battery, so perhaps a new regulator/rectifier would be in order.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Follow the standard tests for the rectifier/regulator. If that tests okay, then next test is for stator output.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts