Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I’m going to whine. Are they making fork seals out of cheese, by the way ? Last fall, my Busa started leaking. Then my Triumph started leaking. So, I broke out the SuperGlide and parked them. Over the winter I rebuilt the Busa forks. Then I had the electrical issues with the Monster. I got that sorted and pulled the forks off the Triumph a couple of days ago. Then yesterday, after my first long ride on the Monster, I see both fork seals leaking like crazy ! I’m getting very good at rebuilding forks. Our roads are rough here, but this is ridiculous ! I can’t keep a motorcycle running lately. I don’t even get one bike fixed before the next one breaks. Any recommendations on a brand of reliable fork seals ?:crying:

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Many "brands" are not made by the company selling them, I try and buy oem quality at minimum. You seldom go wrong buying a oem seal outside of price as they do not want problems they will have to fix under warranty.

Genuine NOK seals are my go to seals, they are most oem and you can specify them with some aftermarkets. Parts unlimited will often offer both a NOK and a lesser model in the same size. I am testing out the SKF seals and so far am quite happy with them, neither NOK or SKF are inexpensive.

90% of the time there is a reason the seals fail like the GSXR forks I did yesterday where the tubes were damaged, be sure to look for a reason they leak. I have never cared for the "leakproof" seals as they have proven to leak more not less, and you can feel the rubber is less pliable in the seal area.

Ohlins forks leak about 30% more than others in part due to low stiction and soft seals so you might not want a set of those if you are buying a new bike/forks.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I intend to try my sealmate first, but I don’t have much faith in it. I’ve used it several times now and still had a leak. Both seals were leaking badly by the time I got home. I remember as I got on the bike yesterday morning thinking “ At least I have one bike the seals aren’t leaking on “ . Ha Ha. Back to the Busa. I was thinking SKF on the seals , didn’t realize NOK were good.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does any one know the seal dimensions for the Ohlins forks on the S4RS ? It appears SKF sells the seal kits according to dimensions, not by the motorcycle they fit.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve discovered that NOK is a seal material, not a brand name. Many Japanese made seals are made with it. It’s supposed to reduce friction.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whine: Part 2
So , went for a ride on the Busa ( new seals installed over winter ) fork seals leaking on that also ! Just installed new seals over winter. Always use name brand seals, no cheapies. I had no issues in the installation whatsoever, everything went together as it should. New dust seals too. Hoping maybe a seal lip got flipped or something. Out comes the new SealMate. I hate the thought of having to get those legs off again, very labor intensive removing all that plastic.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Busa sitting in garage, forks have not leaked a drop since I parked it. No flaws on the tubes to damage seals. Seems like upside down forks should leak while sitting there. My SS did.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
at my local ohlins importer the 43mm seals are 4720-02 and the "road spec" scrapers are 4721-03.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, belter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts