Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to do the break in miles 2-up? picking the bike up tomorrow with 5 miles on the clock, aiming to do all 600 this weekend!!!

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
Is it safe to do the break in miles 2-up? picking the bike up tomorrow with 5 miles on the clock, aiming to do all 600 this weekend!!!
There's some debate about breakin... but if you subscribe to the idea that "the manufacturer said to do it this way and that's the way I'm going to do it"... then yea 2 up is fine, vary throttle position, don't use cruise... and just generally 'take it easy'. IIRC the recommend keeping it under 6k.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Also the first oil service is 600, break in is usually until 1500 miles. Manual should spell it out.

I may be in my own world when it comes to break ins, but the one Ducati has you do is a weak ass one and maybe some Ducati-specific people can explain why they ask you to baby it. My guess is it's just trying to get everything seated with the temp fluctuations before you rip it apart at high end RPMs.

In the diesel world after an engine rebuild we run them full throttle, full load for 12+ hours on the Dyno for their first run once they get up to temp. The ones you break in like this last longer than the ones from the factory. I'm talking 12 cyl cats and cummins with twin turbos.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I think the ring seal is the only thing you really need to break in. The internal parts of the engine are held to much closer tolerance than they used to be so things like pistons being too tight aren’t common anymore. Don’t lug it , just to avoid oil starvation. Don’t get it real hot. That’s about all you really need to do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also the first oil service is 600, break in is usually until 1500 miles. Manual should spell it out.

I may be in my own world when it comes to break ins, but the one Ducati has you do is a weak ass one and maybe some Ducati-specific people can explain why they ask you to baby it. My guess is it's just trying to get everything seated with the temp fluctuations before you rip it apart at high end RPMs.

In the diesel world after an engine rebuild we run them full throttle, full load for 12+ hours on the Dyno for their first run once they get up to temp. The ones you break in like this last longer than the ones from the factory. I'm talking 12 cyl cats and cummins with twin turbos.
yes, 600 miles is first service and 6000 rpm, 1500 miles is 7000 rpm, after that... let er rip i guess lol

i was just worried about having too much weight on it too early. I'm 240, my wife is 150, so were 390 together, i think the GVWR on the multi is 474 so were within limits. Idk, I'm just nervous and worried about nothin i guess

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are several theories on engine break in. I break in my engine the way I plan to use them throughout the life of the bike. I dont baby them at all. I'm not pinning it off redline but for the first few hundred miles (first oil change) ill keep it under 100 mph. After that I use the engine as i would any other day.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you plan on doing much 2-up riding, look in to having at least the shock re-sprung, and probably the fork as well. I've got the same bike, at 270lbs solo with gear I'm dialed in 9 turns on front pre-load, out of 10. Shock pre-load is set between 18 for urban rider only, to max 24 in sport with 1 rider and luggage. Those were the necessary settings to get the bike close to a correct level of loaded sag. There is no way I could have a pillion on this bike without either hitting the bump stops frequently, or cranking the damping to 11.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts