Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Have any of you followed the break in procedure prescribed by motoman from Mototuneusa? http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm not interested in opinion, just real world experience. I am all ready cautious and semi skeptical, but open minded. Thanks guys.
I've used that method on my last 5 bikes, including the latest, my 848. I followed the street method since I never had regular access to a dyno. I never had any problem with any of my bikes broken in this way -- they all made good power and didn't burn any oil. One of them even survived two full seasons of endurance racing - that's 80 hours of hard running - and it didn't die.

The best thing about it is that I didn't feel like I wasted 1000 of some of the best miles on a brand-new bike just tooling around at slow speeds and low rpm.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Breakin

There are a huge number of divergent opinions on this, just wait to see what you have started. I would strongly advise anyone interested in this subject to read Kevin Cameron's articles published in Cycle World.

I have personally broken in many engines, either from new or rebuilt. I follow factory recommendations pretty much. What is critical is rolling the throttle on and off frequently. Go find a mountain road and ride it. Don't lug the engine, and don't rev it hard, especially unloaded. The engines I have owned from new have always been strong running engines that had great durability, with very little oil burning, ( in air cooled engines).

In looking at the attached web page, look at the Honda F3 pistons. I find it exceptionally hard to believe the one the author says was broken in by his method has as many miles as the one broken in "by the book". There is zero carbon on the top of the one he cites, hard to believe. YOMV, and likely will.

I would agree with using dino oil and not synthetic during breakin.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just the response I was hoping to hear. Thank you.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
I've used that method on my last 5 bikes, including the latest, my 848. I followed the street method since I never had regular access to a dyno. I never had any problem with any of my bikes broken in this way -- they all made good power and didn't burn any oil. One of them even survived two full seasons of endurance racing - that's 80 hours of hard running - and it didn't die.

The best thing about it is that I didn't feel like I wasted 1000 of some of the best miles on a brand-new bike just tooling around at slow speeds and low rpm.

Ditto. And all my bikes made great power (Busa - 175rwhp, 750 - 140 rwhp, 1198S - 157 rhwp) all on pump gasoline and no problems.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Brackstone, I was replying to Pilota's response. But all comments based real experience and not just theory I truly value. Thanks all for posting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts